Phorum Phunding !

No, not "Greenbat you useless bastard" comments. Instead, any helpful suggestions, bugs, ideas etc. I have very little (i.e, none) experience with forum running, so help is very much appreciated
Eddie

Re: £$

Unread post by Eddie » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:45 pm

ClassicMcNut wrote:I try to avoid PayPal but give me an address to send a contribution to and I'll happily send a cheque to keep this forum on the road
:|

same as McNut happy to make donation but after too many problems to list I avoid paypal like the plague so need to come up with another way
Eddie

DAM

Unread post by DAM » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:51 pm

Her's how it is folks ---

This forum in all its guises has been free to access for anyone and It's staying that way.

If we do set it up so folks can donate it will be purely voluntary.

NeilD

Unread post by NeilD » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:16 pm

cheers for that DAM - as the others have said, if in the future you need us to chuck some coppers in the pot then let us know.. :)

Velton

Unread post by Velton » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:06 am

DAM good idea. DAM!
Let us all hpe that it prospers! :D

Having the Forum back (Mk 3) is great.
On the Real Classic forum there is an option to donate via Paypal - completely voluntary and, as far as I know, secret.
Though a real world address for donations could be made available too, presumably?
Just being old doesn't make it a "Classic."

Aaaah! Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:20 am

Welcome back aboard Velton !

On the funding front, money raised now could be used to pay up front for future hosting.
Because as sure as apples is apples if this forum takes off the way it should then come renewal time the price of the domain will skyrocket.
Surplus cash could be banked for when we need to buy extra bandwidth.
I think it makes sense to start preparing for the future now, rather than later.
We've been caught out that way before !

Anything left over could be used to buy me a luxury apartment in St Lucia.
Or a BEER !

DAM

Unread post by DAM » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:39 am

To make sure we don't lose the domain name I'll set it up for auto renewal with Easyspace.
At least that way in 2 years time when it's due I can't forget to do it.
The cost of the domain should not skyrocket if we don't let it lapse.

triumph5ta

Unread post by triumph5ta » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:17 pm

So how much is it likely to cost us per year for the whole forum site?
Then we can work out roughly what we need of us "regulars"...

I know I may regret saying this but....
I will take on the job of "treasurer" if thats what is required.... I could collate the payments into a seperate EGG savings account maybe?? Just a thought.
I get a lot of benefit from this forum so a few hours a year seems a small price to pay to keep it going.

The Mighty Gusset

Re: Phorum Phunding !

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:00 pm

I've edited the title of this thread, just so's folks know what we are talking about.

Yes folks, this ain't a Free Forum - someone has to pay for it !

DAM took the plunge when the Emergency Bunker went AWOL and dug into his own pocket to buy the domain name and pay for the first years hosting, but at some point we are going to have to think about how to continue to fund the thing.
(Assuming it's worth keeping !)

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:50 pm

DAM's intent to keep this forum free is a great, I can imagine that providing a resource like the C B Forum for fellow classic bike idiots brings DAM a certain a "Feel Good" factor, and he well deserves it.

However, having a way to donate to off-set forum running costs or adding to the facilities is a must, even if it only serves as a way of expressing "Thanks" for those of us who get (mild :D ) guilt feelings when getting something for nowt.

Cheers Zunspec

DAM

Unread post by DAM » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:43 pm

I have no problem with others contributing to the costs of running the forum, but would like to see it as purely voluntary.
My contribution was to keep us up and running while we collectively decide the way foward.

Looking at the current bandwidth useage we are likely to be at our limit in two to three months time.
So now is the time to do something.

Would you like me to set up an email address (ie donate@classicbikeforum.co.uk or similar), and if so, should we also set up a mailing address for those that prefer not to use paypal?

We already have at least one victim (sorry I mean volunteer) to consider for the post of treasurer.

DAM