Phorum Phunding !

No, not "Greenbat you useless bastard" comments. Instead, any helpful suggestions, bugs, ideas etc. I have very little (i.e, none) experience with forum running, so help is very much appreciated
Greenbat

Re: Phorum Phunding !

Unread post by Greenbat » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:52 pm

DAM wrote:I have no problem with others contributing to the costs of running the forum, but would like to see it as purely voluntary.
My contribution was to keep us up and running while we collectively decide the way foward.

Looking at the current bandwidth useage we are likely to be at our limit in two to three months time.
So now is the time to do something.

Would you like me to set up an email address (ie donate@classicbikeforum.co.uk or similar), and if so, should we also set up a mailing address for those that prefer not to use paypal?

We already have at least one victim (sorry I mean volunteer) to consider for the post of treasurer.

DAM

Yes, that sounds good. I think a lot of us are getting itchy paypal fingers!

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:00 pm

There are obvious advantages to using Paypal (or similar) - you simply stick a 'donate' button on the site and folks click (or not !) and make a secure payment.
Any other way of doing it involves people contacting you and an exchange of bank details - or something strange involving the movement of bits of paper in envelopes !

I'm not sure how much (or even if !) it costs to set a paypal 'donate' thingy up - I've got a fully authenticated and validated Paypal 'Business' account though that I could probably make available if needs be.

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:34 pm

Just checking, and apparently it doesn't cost anything at all to stick a 'donate' button on the site.
They charge 3.4% + 20p per transaction up to £1500 of monthly sales.

DAM

Unread post by DAM » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:04 pm

The Mighty Gusset wrote:I'm not sure how much (or even if !) it costs to set a paypal 'donate' thingy up - I've got a fully authenticated and validated Paypal 'Business' account though that I could probably make available if needs be.

If needed I have both business and private paypal accounts but think it might be better to set up an independent account for the forum.

triumph5ta

Unread post by triumph5ta » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:51 am

I think it should work like this:
A new seperate bank account. I mentioned an EGG savings account as I have one already and can set up another easily.
Donations go in to this account and sit there until DAM has to pay the bill. The relevant amount of money is then paid to DAM. Or direct to the company hosting the site.

DAM: you could do this yourself or I will take it on if you prefer. I would provide anyone who donates with a statement at any time if they ask. Obviously you dont know me from Adam (which is actually my name...)

If I do it I would take Paypal or electronic bank payments only. ie you pay in online or over the bank counter to the account, sort code 99-99-99 account no 123456789 for those who dont want to use paypal.

triman65

Unread post by triman65 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:53 pm

Why use Paypal. I would like to make a donation but where can you do it. Had trouble setting up paypal and at 65years old have enough trouble sorting the banks out. I say Piss off to paypal

sfb

Unread post by sfb » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:26 pm

How are the funds doing, btw?

DAM

Unread post by DAM » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:54 pm

triman65
You could send a donation to me, I'd then put the funds in the account and email the forum paypal email address a record of your contribution so that triumph5ta can see what's coming in.

sfb
The fund stands at £266.81 at the moment as we have not had to use any of it yet, we are still running on the original set up costs.
Being able to call on my son for help and advice has kept the costs down.
At some point we will have to decide how much we want to keep in hand for keeping the forum running, then we will have to either temporarilly remove the donate button or sound out the forum members for their views on possibly donating any surplus to a biking related charity.

sfb

Unread post by sfb » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:25 pm

Nice and healthy then, good!

Where would we stand if, with agreement of forum members of course, spending some on, say, forum t-shirts or badges for forum members to buy, with any profits going to a chosen charity? This would hopefully publicise the forum as well and gain us some new members.

Did we get anywhere with the t-shirt idea? I seem to remember it being discussed.