Passing thought

No, not "Greenbat you useless bastard" comments. Instead, any helpful suggestions, bugs, ideas etc. I have very little (i.e, none) experience with forum running, so help is very much appreciated
ClassicMcNut
Wise Font Of All Bantam Knowledge

Passing thought

Unread post by ClassicMcNut » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:10 pm

Just wondered if anyone knew how to set up a Chat room just for this forum where we could stick it on our Fav section on the top bar and just drop in anytime to see if someone is in there. Means we can chat directly to each other which may also cut down slightly on the postings in the forum and if there is an immediate problem OR the forum went down for any reason we could still stay in touch.
There are times when I wouldn't mind just dropping into a CB Chat room but do NOT ask me to set it up I haven't got a bloody clue. Just learned how to use the smilies and I can even bugger them up at times.
Anyone got any passing thoughts on this??
:|
Do unto others before they do unto you. A wise man learns by other's mistakes a fool by his own

chilly

Re: Passing thought

Unread post by chilly » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:13 pm

I tried a chat room on one of the bike sites i go on, and wasn't fast enough with my typing to chat at the right moment,i gave up in the end :oops: :D

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:18 pm

I'm admin on another (not bike related) forum that experimented with a chatroom.
What happened was that folk would come into the forum and post threads asking why there was no-one in the chatroom !

If you just want to talk bollocks, then why not meet up with your mates for a chat in the BAR ?

In the event that this site goes tits up, we still have the Emergency Bunker that can quickly be revived, and the Photo Gallery has provision for discussion topics, comments and announcements should we need them.

ClassicMcNut
Wise Font Of All Bantam Knowledge

Unread post by ClassicMcNut » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:35 pm

Okay Gus. ......... As I said it was a passing thought .......... Next time I have it I'll let it pass
Do unto others before they do unto you. A wise man learns by other's mistakes a fool by his own

DAM

Unread post by DAM » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:36 pm

A chat room would use up some of the bandwidth available for the forum, so we are trying to ensure this forum stays up.
At least this time round we have access to the database which I am backing up daily to my own computer,If neccesary we can reinstall the forum software and reload the database quickly and easily (I'd better get Phil to show me how to do so).
As an additional backup I'll get Phil and another volunteer to keep a duplicate backup on their computer.Greenbat or Gus maybe ?

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:47 pm

There's nowt wrong with ideas and suggestions McNutto - keep em coming !

If the bunch of jokers who I signed up for for free hosting ever actually get their shit together and finalise my membership we should be able to back the whole forum up onto a 'mirror' site.

Greenbat

Unread post by Greenbat » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:35 pm

DAM wrote:A chat room would use up some of the bandwidth available for the forum, so we are trying to ensure this forum stays up.
At least this time round we have access to the database which I am backing up daily to my own computer,If neccesary we can reinstall the forum software and reload the database quickly and easily (I'd better get Phil to show me how to do so).
As an additional backup I'll get Phil and another volunteer to keep a duplicate backup on their computer.Greenbat or Gus maybe ?

Tell me how to do it and I will.

DAM

Unread post by DAM » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:43 pm

Sign in to admin control panel
click on maintenance
click on backup
click on download
click on select all
click on submit