Magneto Rebuilders Good & bad

No, not "Greenbat you useless bastard" comments. Instead, any helpful suggestions, bugs, ideas etc. I have very little (i.e, none) experience with forum running, so help is very much appreciated
moriniboy

Magneto Rebuilders Good & bad

Unread post by moriniboy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:52 am

I'm not sure this posting will be allowed, but under the 'fair-comment' defence in anti-defamation law (yes, I used to be a journalist and had to know all this), I'm having a magneto rebuilt for a second time after a decade of poor hot-starting, not fixed by the first mag-rebuild. I hve been told by Mag-rebuilder no. 2, that mag-rebuilder no. 1 DH Day, who advertise widely, and now charge £400 for a Mag rebuild, apparently didnt replace the original Italian condensor in my Marelli magneto (sent to them to eliminate a poor hot-starting problem!)...

Coxy

Re: Magneto Rebuilders Good & bad

Unread post by Coxy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:05 pm

In defence of the first rebuilder, Poor hot starting for 10 years after a rebuild why didn't you approach the original repairer 10 bloody years ago???

johnr

Re: Magneto Rebuilders Good & bad

Unread post by johnr » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:15 am

whilst its slightly removed from actual rebuilders, its well over a decade since i sent my troublesome m21 bsa magneto to kirby rowbotham to have its guts removed and a boyer electronic ignition unit installed. i dont think ive ever had to remove the cover to check it since. it really is fit and forget, starting was massively improved, and running at all speeds was smoother, it also ticked over for the first time since i owned it. and if you didnt know it had one fitted, then you wouldnt notice it.