Classic recipes

Does what it says on the tin !
Quite simply The Best Pub on the Interweb !
Real BEER, Great Grub, and a Free Jukebox - What more could you want ?
The Mighty Gusset

Re: Classic recipes

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:37 pm

I've noticed the addition of Watter !
I'm actually giving it a go as I write this - I've got sausages I need to get rid of, so it's TITH for tea !
The batter certainly needs added Watter, it's like wallpaper paste without it.

I've also added half a teaspoon of mustard powder - to go with the snorkers.

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Yep, that worked, only needed about a tablespoon of Watter.
And now I've found another use for dried milk !

jimmy

Unread post by jimmy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:43 pm

A wee bit different, but here I am in the house all alone (they're all off to see Harry Potter) when I thinks Millionaire shortbread!!!
So into the cupboard I goes

7oz of crushed digestive biscuits (coz I didnt have shortbread)
6oz of butter
6oz of brown sugar
1tin of condensed milk
1 big bar of chocolate

melt 1oz of butter and mix with the biscuit (that you have previously crushed),place in a tray and put in fridge for 20 mins
on a medium heat, melt the rest of the butter with the sugar then add the condensed milk. Stir continuously until it starts to bubbly. Remove from heat, stir like mad then add to biscuit base. Leave to cool then return to fridge for 30 mins. Finally melt chocolat and add to the caramel. Leave to set, make an appointment with your dentist then enjoy :lol: :lol: :lol:

Next up:- Tablet !!!

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:51 pm

Sounds like the sort of thing you might make if you're anticipating an attack of The Munchies !
Not the sort of thing that I'd expect from the Thin Blue Line !
Also, because you is a Scotchlander, shouldn't that be dipped in batter and deep fried ?

jimmy

Unread post by jimmy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:02 pm

Listen mate, after eating that I wont be the "thin "blue line
and deep fried......mmmmm may give that a try and I'll keep the defib machine close by

jimmy

Unread post by jimmy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:34 am

jimmy wrote:A wee bit different, but here I am in the house all alone (they're all off to see Harry Potter) when I thinks Millionaire shortbread!!!
So into the cupboard I goes

7oz of crushed digestive biscuits (coz I didnt have shortbread)
6oz of butter
6oz of brown sugar
1tin of condensed milk
1 big bar of chocolate

melt 1oz of butter and mix with the biscuit (that you have previously crushed),place in a tray and put in fridge for 20 mins
on a medium heat, melt the rest of the butter with the sugar then add the condensed milk. Stir continuously until it starts to bubbly. Remove from heat, stir like mad then add to biscuit base. Leave to cool then return to fridge for 30 mins. Finally melt chocolat and add to the caramel. Leave to set, make an appointment with your dentist then enjoy :lol: :lol: :lol:

Next up:- Tablet !!!

As an addendum use a bit more melted butter with the biscuit. I have just tried mine and the base is just too crumbly

jimmy

Unread post by jimmy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:11 pm

Making Tablet tonight.
1 large pan (not non stick)
2lb of granulated butter
1 tin condensed milk
5oz of unsalted butter
some milk to dampen the sugar

method
put sugar and milk in pan
add butter and condensed milk
melt all together over a medium heat,
stir mixture constantly and evenly until mixture starts to bubble

Reduce to a low heat and stir regulary for approximately 20 minutes. The misture will brown as it simmers
you can dip a small spoonfull into a glass of cold water and when it almost refuses to come off the spoon its ready.

Switch off the heat and stir like crazy ensuring you scrape off the crystals on the side of the pan. This is important as you need it to start the reaction for the tablet to set. When you feel the bottom of the pan getting gritty, quickly pour the mix into a pre buttered baking tray. Leave to cool and set preferably overnight (if you can wait that long)

Be careful as its melted sugar, the mixture is very hot so dont try and eat it before it cools.

As in the caramel shortbread, a visit to the dentist will follow

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:53 pm

For Peppy:

Olde English Cream of Onion Soup

Ingredients

serves 4
2 tbsp 1 oz butter
1 lb onions, skinned and thinly sliced
1 pint milk
1/2 pint chicken or vegetable stock
salt and freshly ground pepper
4 level tsp cornflour
4 tbsp fresh single cream
parsley sprigs to garnish

method
1. Heat the butter in a saucepan, add the onions, cover and sweat gently until softened, shaking the pan occasionally to prevent browning.
2. Add the milk, stock and seasoning and bring to the boil, stirring. Reduce the heat and simmer covered for about 25 minutes, until the onion is tender.
3. Blend the cornflour with 3 tbspwater, stir into the soup and bring to the boil. Cook gently for a few minutes until slightly thickened, stirring. Add the fresh cream, check seasoning and reheat without boiling.

I used Channel Islands full cream (Gold Top) milk 94p Litre from Te$co !
And topped it with a thick slice of homebaked bread, topped with Stilton and baked in the oven until the bread was well toatsed and the cheese all melted - just floated in the top of the bowl.

peppy

Unread post by peppy » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:57 pm

The Mighty Gusset wrote:For Peppy:

Olde English Cream of Onion Soup

Ingredients

serves 4
2 tbsp 1 oz butter
1 lb onions, skinned and thinly sliced
1 pint milk
1/2 pint chicken or vegetable stock
salt and freshly ground pepper
4 level tsp cornflour
4 tbsp fresh single cream
parsley sprigs to garnish

method
1. Heat the butter in a saucepan, add the onions, cover and sweat gently until softened, shaking the pan occasionally to prevent browning.
2. Add the milk, stock and seasoning and bring to the boil, stirring. Reduce the heat and simmer covered for about 25 minutes, until the onion is tender.
3. Blend the cornflour with 3 tbspwater, stir into the soup and bring to the boil. Cook gently for a few minutes until slightly thickened, stirring. Add the fresh cream, check seasoning and reheat without boiling.

I used Channel Islands full cream (Gold Top) milk 94p Litre from Te$co !
And topped it with a thick slice of homebaked bread, topped with Stilton and baked in the oven until the bread was well toatsed and the cheese all melted - just floated in the top of the bowl.

brill thank you mate

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:08 pm

No worries !
The secret is to gently sweat the onions in butter so that they go nice and soft and translucent, you don't want them to go brown at all.