Classic recipes

Does what it says on the tin !
Quite simply The Best Pub on the Interweb !
Real BEER, Great Grub, and a Free Jukebox - What more could you want ?
Old Codger

Re: Classic recipes

Unread post by Old Codger » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:44 pm

Greenbat wrote:At some point soon, I will hopefully be leaving the comfort of home and getting my own house, of some description.

And we're still waiting!!

DAM

Unread post by DAM » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:03 pm

Old Codger wrote:And we're still waiting!!

Old Codger,

Just to cheer you up, nowadays there are quite a few still at home at age 40 to 50 with no signs of them leaving.

quicksilver

Unread post by quicksilver » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:50 am

one of my faves involves blanching a few large cabbage leaves.
While thats going on chuck a few finely chopped onions into a frying pan with a few tablespoons of olive oil,
with that a handfull of diced bacon.
when thats browned off add a load of raw tiger prawns, fry until prawns are cooked, not overcooked!
drain the cabbage leaves and put into a large bowl
pour the whole fried mixture , with oil over the cabbage leaves and toss (the leaves you fool)
serve immediately with garlic bread.

supersix

Unread post by supersix » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:47 pm

Not taken you long to get wise to us has it quicksilver! :twisted:

quicksilver

Unread post by quicksilver » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:00 pm

In my experience it pays to be prepared :D

Old Codger

Unread post by Old Codger » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:45 pm

Adding a recipe onto here, had a brace of not too mangled road kill pheasants, plucked and gutted, in the freezer when I defrosted it last month and thought it was time to get them used up.

CREAMED PHEASANT

First I roasted them, then removed the flesh off the bones. (Bones boiled for stock which in now in the freezer waiting to be used)
Shoved it into the slow cooker (turned up to full) with some sliced onion, olives, mushroom & red pepper;
Made a white sauce with a few herbs & lots of fresh ground black pepper added and then added a pint of double cream;
Poured it over the contents of the slow cooker and then ignored it for a couple of hours.

Served with new tatties and veg.

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:59 pm

I knocked up a rather delicious Carbonara style thing yesterday.

Grate up a big pile of cheeses - I used Cheddar, Parmesan, Stilton, Cheddar with garlic and herbs and a big blob of Brie - just use whatever you've got.
Cut up some smoked bacon into thin strips and lightly fry, bung in some mushrooms and fry some more.
Set Aside.
In the same pan, bung a large heaped tablespoon of plain flour and the same quantity of butter fry on a low heat stirring continuously.
(I used a non-stick wok and a plastic whisk)
You should end up with a runny yellowish paste
Slowly add milk, continuing to stir to keep it smooth while allowing it to come towards boiling point (You can bung in a couple of bayleaves at this point if you like - I forgot)
Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and bung in some pasta, turn it down to a rolling boil and leave to cook for about 8-10 minutes depending on pasta type.
When the sauce is just about boiling bung in all of the cheese, the bacon and the mushrooms, carry on stirring.
When the pasta is almost cooked, drain it, bung it in with the sauce and stir for another couple of minutes.
Serve and eat.

From beginning to end it shouldn't take more than about 15 minutes.

supersix

Unread post by supersix » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:02 pm

Ya shower of bastards! You know I can't eat meat cos it makes me poorly! The last two recipes sound real yum! :cry: Now our Hugh is on the box! More meat! BUT fish too, wot I can eat! 8-)

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:18 pm

The Carbonara would work just as well with some Tiger Prawns and some nice proper smoked cod or haddock (not the shite with yellow dye and smoke 'flavour')
It does need the smoky flavour - perhaps you could use smoked cheese or smoked garlic ?
A little voice has just said smoked cheese, leek and mushroom.
Tuna and Broccoli would also work - there's all sorts of stuff you can add to pasta and a cheese sauce.

jezbikes1

Unread post by jezbikes1 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:35 pm

I cooked a nice Pad Thai last night so for lovers of Thai food here's my recipe:

Get some peanuts (ordinary roasted are fine) and bung some on a baking tray. Cook in a low oven for about 10 minutes until they brown.
While they are cooking thinly slice one red onion into half moons and fry in some groundnut oil with a chopped red chilli (or two if you like hot food) and three finely chopped cloves of garlic. Fry quite gently until onion is soft. Add tiger prawns, three tablespoons of fish sauce (nam pla) and the juice of two limes. Fry for another few minutes. Then add some noodles (I uses those straight to wok rice noodles but if you're a purist you can cook your own rice noodles separately). At the end add a handful of chopped coriander and stir through. Sprinkle the roasted peanuts on top and you're away. Lovely.

You can change the prawns for anything really, chicken works well or salmon as well. Enjoy! :D
Jez

Clueless mechanical muppet... but trying to improve.