Classic recipes

Does what it says on the tin !
Quite simply The Best Pub on the Interweb !
Real BEER, Great Grub, and a Free Jukebox - What more could you want ?
Greenbat

Classic recipes

Unread post by Greenbat » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:49 pm

At some point soon, I will hopefully be leaving the comfort of home and getting my own house, of some description. Due to the expense of this, I reckon I'll either have to give up bikes, eating or learn to cook. The last one sounds far better to me. So, anyone got some good recipes?

DAM

Re: Classic recipes

Unread post by DAM » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:12 pm

I've got an old cook book with a few recipes in
How about -

Stewed Larks
Sweetbread Patties
or
Brain Cakes (sheep brains)

sfb

Unread post by sfb » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:04 pm

You need to spend more time in Gus's bar - he has lots of fine recipes.

Buy a slow cooker. I'm about to tuck into a lovely liver and bacon stew that has been cooking all day and was cheap and easy to make.

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:19 pm

Greeno - What do you like to eat ?

that's where you should start.
Ask your mum or dad to show you how they cook your favourite meals.

If it's recipes you're after then the BBC Food website is pretty good :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/

At the end of the day, cooking is simply heating stuff up, it ain't difficult - it's all the nadgery, chefy stuff that makes it look like hard work.
I learned to cook by looking at the contents labels of supermarket ready meals and working out that I could probably do it cheaper and better myself - and then looking for a recipe.
These days t'interweb makes that approach MUCH easier !

Spag Bol, Chilli con Carne, Shepherds Pie, Fish Pie, along with stews or casseroles, are all really piss easy to cook, dirt cheap, and about a Zillion times better home cooked than anything you can get in a ready meal.

Start simple, start with what you like best, and as you get better, start to experiment.

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:33 pm

sfb wrote:You need to spend more time in Gus's bar - he has lots of fine recipes.
Buy a slow cooker. I'm about to tuck into a lovely liver and bacon stew that has been cooking all day and was cheap and easy to make.

Ta !
but I have to say that I think slow-cookers are a bit tricksy for a novice !
I've got three, and have been known to have them all on the go at the same time, but there is a definite knack to getting the best out of them - you can't just bung stuff in and leave it - unless you've got a recipe that is tried and tested and guaranteed to work.

I'd never do liver and bacon in a slow-cooker !
I like my liver coated in mustard powder and simply flash fried to seal it, crispy smoked bacon and a rich, thick onion and red wine gravy, all combined about five minutes before serving (while I'm mashing the spuds).
The gravy is the hard bit - it takes me about an hour and a half to make.

chilly

Unread post by chilly » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:10 pm

Buy a house near your Mum ;)

Velton

Unread post by Velton » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:21 pm

What do you like to eat, Greenbat?

Are you cooking just for yourself everyday - or to entertain?

Give us some clues.

ClassicMcNut
Wise Font Of All Bantam Knowledge

Unread post by ClassicMcNut » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:25 pm

Do what I did, get married to a great cook
Image 42 years this year

sfb

Unread post by sfb » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:57 pm

The Mighty Gusset wrote:
sfb wrote:You need to spend more time in Gus's bar - he has lots of fine recipes.

Ta !
but I have to say that I think slow-cookers are a bit tricksy for a novice !
I've got three, and have been known to have them all on the go at the same time, but there is a definite knack to getting the best out of them - you can't just bung stuff in and leave it - unless you've got a recipe that is tried and tested and guaranteed to work.

I'd never do liver and bacon in a slow-cooker !
I like my liver coated in mustard powder and simply flash fried to seal it, crispy smoked bacon and a rich, thick onion and red wine gravy, all combined about five minutes before serving (while I'm mashing the spuds).
The gravy is the hard bit - it takes me about an hour and a half to make.

It was delicious and the first time I've tried slow cooking liver. I coated the liver in flour, herbs and spices first, then flash fried with the bacon. Chucked it in with some Co-op organic beer, winter veg and a sprinkling of chilli flakes. I've never used a recipe for the slow cooker and it always seems to work, perhaps that's just luck. I am quite envious that you have three slow cookers!

Anyway, the best thing you can do when you are living "independently" is learn to visit all your friends at mealtimes - it worked for Jon!

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:59 pm

ClassicMcNut wrote:Do what I did, get married to a great cook
- 42 years this year

You get less for murder !
Free accomodation and three meals a day thrown in.
Plus you could take cookery classes ready for when you come out !