Cafe racer bantam-first topic! Woo!

Classic Bike Forum's very own Bantam Guru dispenses expert advice on all things Bantam related.
Greenbat

Cafe racer bantam-first topic! Woo!

Unread post by Greenbat » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:34 pm

Currently putting the finishing touches to the seat hump. I'll sand it tomorrow, then can hopefully paint it silver. Then add check stripes. Here should be a pic of the whole bike, with white primer seat hump.
Last edited by Greenbat on Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Mighty Gusset

Re: Cafe racer bantam-first topic! Woo!

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:56 pm

Not quiet the first topic - I got the BAR open a minute before you !

ash

Unread post by ash » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:02 pm

Any more progress Batty?

ClassicMcNut
Wise Font Of All Bantam Knowledge

Unread post by ClassicMcNut » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:29 pm

Looking good Greeny ......... I would have been tempted to continue the rivets all the way round the seat back to make it look uniform, kinda a continuity but hey it's your bike and you did a good job there
:)
Do unto others before they do unto you. A wise man learns by other's mistakes a fool by his own

Greenbat

Unread post by Greenbat » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:01 pm

I'm still spraying up the hump. Every layer throws up an imperfection, no matter how carefully you fill and sand! I just rubbed it down, sprayed it silver and found another dimple that needs filling. Ah well.
I only put in two rivets for space. The seat pan is a very tight fit to the subframe, so in places there just isn't room for the rivets to go through. I could put some dummy ones on, but I think it would look untidy. When I finally, finally paint the hump I've got more check stripe to match the tank, and a little BSA crossed flags sticker too.
I need to find a mudguard too, in a similar style to the front one. I think I'll have the original "sabrina" tail light, and a pressed ally plate with polished letters. As the reg is only 6 digits, I can get the plate nice and small (though not illegal).
Don't suppose anyone has a suitable rear mudguard?

bsac15ss80

Unread post by bsac15ss80 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:21 am

greenbat dont add more rivits it looks "race spec"as it is..
you gonna post a pic of the frame for me[from bsac15ss80bobber bent frame from the bunker]
cheers mate....................dave
whats that hanging on the swingarm????

Greenbat

Unread post by Greenbat » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:54 pm

bsac15ss80 wrote:whats that hanging on the swingarm????

That thing on the swingarm was going to be a super swish aluminium rearset footpeg plate. Until I attached it, and realised it bends like cheese. Doh! Not sure whether to look out some stainless, thicker ally or just have painted steel. Have to see what turns up.
Attached picture shows the subframe. Notice how it kinks out to the right. Both bantams do that, so it must be right! Notice how the wheel is still in line with the centre of the tank (allowing for camera angle), meaning it is still central.
Attachments
DSCN2132.JPG

bsac15ss80

Unread post by bsac15ss80 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:08 pm

thnx greenbat i see what u mean about the subframe,looks very much like mine except mine is not only offset like yours its also
angled away from the main frame[ie bent].also your rear wheel runs in line with ur tank[and main frame under tank yea?]where
as my rear wheel again is angled away from the main frame.
pretty sure its bent i will get some better pics at weekend and post em..
thx again greenbat.........................dave

Greenbat

Unread post by Greenbat » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:42 pm

bsac15ss80 wrote:thnx greenbat i see what u mean about the subframe,looks very much like mine except mine is not only offset like yours its also
angled away from the main frame[ie bent].also your rear wheel runs in line with ur tank[and main frame under tank yea?]where
as my rear wheel again is angled away from the main frame.
pretty sure its bent i will get some better pics at weekend and post em..
thx again greenbat.........................dave

If your wheel is angled, I doubt it is the subframe. All the subframe does is give a convenient point to attach the shocks, and a seat. If the wheel is angled it is probably just skewed in the forks. Measure the distance from the axle to the end of the swing arm on both sides, it is probably different. Either that, or the main loop is bent. That would twist the swing arm pin, and hence the swing arm and wheel. As I said previously, if the subframe doesn't look as though it has been battered at one point (i.e. a great big dent in the tube), it is probably OK.
Come to think of it, I believe towing sidecars with an inadequate frame can cause bending. Any sign of mounts?

Greenbat

Unread post by Greenbat » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:44 pm

More progress.
I spent bllody ages sanding and spraying the hump, but had immense trouble with a bit that had crazed lines appearing. Eventually, I got it so I was happy, and applied the check stripe. This took three attempts. When I finally finished, I realised I'd screwed up the centreline. Then someone dropped a clothes airer on it, taking a huge chuck out the paint. I think I'll leave it for now, as I've only got one stripe left.
On a lighter note, today I finally figured out the rearset footpegs. Below is the mock up I've made.

The brake pedal is the only bit that I will actually use. The standard one isn't bent right. I had a look in m parts store, and found a slightly mangled pedal. I straightened it with a blowtorch and hammer, then bent to the required shape. It might need a spot of tweaking one I make the proper plate, but I'm rather pleased.
The footpeg is the one passenger peg that came with the bike. The screwdriver is acting as a pivot! Whilst I like the idea of folding footpegs, this one is pretty cheap and horrible. I also want one slightly longer. I'll probably knock up my own solid pegs. I did see some really nice home made ones, knurled aluminium with rubber grommet grips. Just a question of whether I can liberate some ally bar...
As for the plate, it needs to be thicker metal. This one was made purely to check everything would fit OK. I've though of one or two changes, but generally it is fine. Just need some thick steel, preferably around 1/8" thick. Stainless would be ideal, but is rather unlikely...