Cafe racer bantam-first topic! Woo!

Classic Bike Forum's very own Bantam Guru dispenses expert advice on all things Bantam related.
Greenbat

Re: Cafe racer bantam-first topic! Woo!

Unread post by Greenbat » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:43 pm

I had a back tyre put on this bike too today. The one I chose (metzler ME22 for the rubber nerds) doesn't seem to mind which way round it is fitted, so burnout superbikes couldn't cock that up at least!
Anyway, whilst that was out the frame I set about adjusting the mudgaurd. If you look in the above pictures, you will see a black tube under the seat hump. This held on the gaurd, but dropped it about an inch. This would have fouled over big bumps. I was outside until about 10 last night fettling up new brackets :roll:
I also had to chop a bit out the gaurd to fit in the chain and gaurd. It is meant to be stainless so it should be OK.
I put the sprocket on the wheel (this is suspiciously light, I wonder if it is titanium?). Then I put the chain on, and realised it is too close to the rearset peg I spent months making. ARSE!!
To cheer myself up I pinched the clutch cable and silencer off the d14. I got one ride across the yard before the battery went flat, at which point I gave up. :lol:

Greenbat

Unread post by Greenbat » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:32 pm

Popped the freshly charged battery in, and have been riding her across the yard :D

Here is that stuff I did yesterday:

If you look at the tail light, there is an ally plate behind it. This is to space it back so it doesn't foul on the seat. I think it looks a lot neater without that black bracket thingy.
The tax disc is the one attached to the bike when I bought it. Going by the dates that'll have been 16 years since she last moved under her own power.

Greenbat

Unread post by Greenbat » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:31 pm

I've been re-re-refetlling the rearsets. Again.
Regular readers of this sorry tale will remember that my super duper gusseted and supported brake side had two fatal flaws: the rod had to be kinked and the support fouled on the chain.
I got lent a sheet of quite thick ally. Not thick enough by itself, but glue two pieces together...

I took advantage of the double layer to put lightning holes in one side, which I thought looked pretty swish :D Brake feels much better too.

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:13 am

Lent a sheet of ali? hope they don't want it back :lol:
Classics ain't built in Metric

Iand

Unread post by Iand » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:05 pm

Looking good greeno!

hows the rebuilt engine feel? what sort of power you getting out of it now? :D
1960 lambretta Li125 sold; 2001 Honda CG125 sold; 2006 Yamaha FZ6 sold; 1980 Kawasaki Z500 sold; 1967 BSA Bantam D10; 2008 Aprilia Shiver sold; 2010 KTM Duke 690R; 1954 BSA Bantam; 1980ish Kawasaki Z200

Buckinghamshire, UK

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:26 pm

Ain't you finished this yet? :lol:

supersix

Unread post by supersix » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:48 pm

Hooli, I've said this before! You really need to come outa the closet and buy a Bantam! For someone anti Banny you seem rather infatuated :twisted:

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:52 pm

Don't be silly, I've got an addiction to going faster than walking speed.

supersix

Unread post by supersix » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:54 pm

Hooli wrote:Don't be silly, I've got an addiction to going faster than walking speed.

Best get a D14/4 then! :lol:

Greenbat

Unread post by Greenbat » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:53 pm

Bit of a frustrating end to the day.
In addition to getting the front brake about right, I have put the generator on and wired it in. Naturally I was very careful doing this. First, I fitted the generator, fired the bike up and checked the AC voltage, which was nice and healthy-16V at tickover, going up to 40 with a little throttle.
Then I disconnected the reg/rect unit from the rest of the electrics, plug the generator into it and checked the rectified voltage. Again, a healthy 13-25 volts with the rectifier lead disconnected. So I wired it all in properly (minus the regulator), and it ran fine for a minute or so...then started spluttering and died. It seems to be showing the classic signs of coil failure-if you leave it it'll run OK for a bit, then start spluttering. Only thing I'm not sure about is that when it splutters, all the lights flicker. So, is it likely the coil? It doesn't show signs of short circuit with the engine off. I reckon the extra voltage from the unregulated generator might have killed the already ancient, and 6V, coil.
Still, I managed to get the regulator lead plumbed in, and when the engine did run I got a nice steady voltage of around 14v, even when revved.
Heres a quick shot before I put it away, showing the lovely shiny new shocks:

Naturally I found a few more jobs to do! as well as the coil the brake light switch needs fitting, the rear light bulb won't work and the bracket for the tachometer needs making in thicker ally so it won't wobble. I think I might fit a short chain guard too, as it is very exposed and doesn't look right.