Cafe racer bantam-first topic! Woo!

Classic Bike Forum's very own Bantam Guru dispenses expert advice on all things Bantam related.
Greenbat

Re: Cafe racer bantam-first topic! Woo!

Unread post by Greenbat » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:03 pm

The Mighty Gusset wrote:Using Araldite to repair pitted forks is a very old trick young Greenbat !
Don't use the 'Rapid' variety.
You might possibly be better off using one of the liquid metal varieties.
A drain hole sounds like a good idea.
And finally, instead of forking (sic) out £80 on another set of equally crappy stanchions, you should be able to get your old ones hard chromed and ground down to size for about £120, which should be a LOT better.

Oh dear...just used the rapid stuff. Oh well.
I don't think the stanchions are the problem, it is the spring rubbing against them, and the cup of water at the bottom. Another set should be fine, if I stop the spring rubbing and the water gathering. These came from C&D autos, I'll try T&G and see what he reckons.

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:23 pm

What I'm saying is that springs rubbing against hard chrome is going to do a lot less damage than against conventionally plated stanchions.
They'll be generally a lot better anyway.
With your engineering contacts can you not get them done cheaply through work ?

Greenbat

Unread post by Greenbat » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:41 pm

Ah, I see. Could be worth a try. Don't think I can do them at work though.

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:49 pm

What about your Choo-Choo Chums ?
There must be bits on old Choo-Choo's that need to be hard chromed ?
Failing that, even proper triple plating will be a lot more hard wearing than the cosmetic crap that we normally have to put up with ?
The big advantage with hard chroming is that the final finish has to be ground back down to size, so you get a nice accurately sized stanchion

sfb

Unread post by sfb » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:13 pm

This lot did a good job on my GPZ550 forks years ago.

http://www.amphardchrome.co.uk/

As I remember, the turnaround time and quality of work was excellent. I think they still advertise in Old Bike Mart.

Greenbat

Unread post by Greenbat » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:45 pm

Well, after the rather painful saga with the forks-MOT passed! I'll ring insurers in a bit, then hopefully I can get the tax sorted wednesday :D

Iand

Unread post by Iand » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:22 pm

Good work Greeno, another bantam on the road!

i'm sure you'll keep us updated over the coming months with the shakedown runs! :D
1960 lambretta Li125 sold; 2001 Honda CG125 sold; 2006 Yamaha FZ6 sold; 1980 Kawasaki Z500 sold; 1967 BSA Bantam D10; 2008 Aprilia Shiver sold; 2010 KTM Duke 690R; 1954 BSA Bantam; 1980ish Kawasaki Z200

Buckinghamshire, UK

catceefer

Unread post by catceefer » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:54 am

Greenbat,

I assume that you are now using the Bantam on the road, having passed the MOT. How are you getting on with it and how effective has the TLS conversion been in the end? Was it worth the effort?

Any pictures of the completed bike in the open?

Regards,

James.
James Alford
Copper Water Features and Garden Ornaments
www.craftedcopper.co.uk

Greenbat

Unread post by Greenbat » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:21 am

Ayup,

Yes, it is on the road. Done over 300 miles on it now, with various mishaps. The tank leaked, the throttle sticks, and the carburation is a real mystery. Latest troubles came when it suddenly decided to run very rich. Night before I'd been for a ride-no problem. Day after, refused to run properly, left a huge trail of white smoke etc. I'll look at it this weekend.
The front brake is fantastic, ever heard of two finger braking on a bantam? :D I keep meaning to put the drawings for various bits I made up on here, I'll get round to it soon.

catceefer

Unread post by catceefer » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:44 pm

Greenbat,

I am pleased that your bike is running, even if it is of a sort. I used to have a D1 125 plunger framed Bantam that was capricious to say the least. One day, it would be fine, the next it would refuse to run properly. I never did find out why, really.

Good news about the brake. Although I have given up on my conversion for now, having fitted the Honda brake, I do intend to try again once the machine is running. Any additional pictures would be appreciated.

Regards,

James.
James Alford
Copper Water Features and Garden Ornaments
www.craftedcopper.co.uk