Adding a 2nd fuel tank outlet

Classic Bike Forum's very own Bantam Guru dispenses expert advice on all things Bantam related.
Darrell

Re: Adding a 2nd fuel tank outlet

Unread post by Darrell » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:13 am

My frame is 12+ve. Changing the polarity was to demanding. Because I have fitted multi switches on the handle bars I wanted to make use of the 'Kill Switch' especially since fitting an Ammeter in the place of the standard Ignition switch which has been moved to the N/S centre section in the identical position to my Starfire and could be difficult to reach in an emergency. I am using the original Wico Pacy 6 Volt 3 wire Alternator having joined together the orange & green wires.

As to the drawings - yea sure - just ask.

SMIFFY R

Unread post by SMIFFY R » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:05 am

A good tip I picked up from a mate of mine re using heat on any petrol tank was (asuming the tank is off the bike)stick it over the end of the exaust pipe of engine thats running(ie:fill it full of gas) for about 5 mins,that usually makes it safe.You can test it by putting a match to it to make sure!
Go to Heaven for the climate....Hell for the company

Darrell

Unread post by Darrell » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:17 pm

Thanks for the advice Smiffy - something else I had never heard of yet makes good and practical sense. It shall be done !

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:41 pm

Since you're going to go ahead and do it anyway, how about some photos as you go along ?

Darrell

Unread post by Darrell » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:12 pm

OK, I'll take some photo's and post them later. Today 9 Dec, I found a welding Company who are going to do the job - as I wait. I like that. I shall be taking it to them tomorrow so will be able to show you the finished article - just as soon as I get acquainted with that photo software you mentioned in a previous article. There has been some very good photo's on this site that I have never been able to emulate due to my numpty skills in that area. But I will try !
I will also do a test on the finished modification that will show how much fuel will be released after this 2nd petrol tap is fitted and publish the results on this web site. We can then have an interesting and honest debate as to whether it was worth it or not?

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:27 am

The amount of extra fuel it lets you have will be the deciding factor as if it's worth it I bet.
Classics ain't built in Metric

Darrell

Unread post by Darrell » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:49 pm

Update: Collected fuel tank from welders yesterday. Only took 2 weeks to be welded ! - after being told they would do it while I waited. Lesson learned - always talk with the guy who actually owns the company. Anyway, I have downloaded the GIMP photo editing software in the hope I could show you the photos of the tank. Trouble is though, that having looked at the images and having tried to save them in .png format, their size is far bigger than when I started. Clearly I need instruction here and having looked at the online 'HELP' I am no further forward. In other words, I'm lost. Can anyone advise me?

Before the tank can be put into service it will need to be lined with an epoxy resin to stop all of the rust particles entering into the fuel lines. I'm waiting for the chemicals to arrive by post - and yes it will be suitable for fuels of today.

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:02 pm

Save the pics as .JPG and aim for a size of about 600x480 - that should fit on here.
Classics ain't built in Metric

chilly

Unread post by chilly » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:18 pm

Hope its one of the new uprated sealers Darren,the original mixes are being attacked by the extra Ethonal being put in the petrol now and causing all sorts of problems :(

Darrell

Unread post by Darrell » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:36 pm

On the Tank Care Products website Chilly it says that it is safe to use with Ethonal. Iv'e opted for the Sureseal 250ml size plus some chemicals to clean out the legacy of the petroil.