Adding a 2nd fuel tank outlet

Classic Bike Forum's very own Bantam Guru dispenses expert advice on all things Bantam related.
Darrell

Re: Adding a 2nd fuel tank outlet

Unread post by Darrell » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:23 pm

Thanks for your advice Hooli - but I have spent another couple of hours on this and to be honest, am becoming a bit bored with this whole thing now. My problem is that if I make the photo 600 x 480 pixels (which is the maximum size this site will allow) it becomes so small as to be useless. ------ and this is not your que Mighty Gusset to lambast me with your usual critisism. If you are not prepared to give useful info on this thread then say nothing.

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:09 pm

Hmmm I guess they are too high dpi then. I use Pixresizer http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm & they seem to come out right.
Classics ain't built in Metric

Darrell

Unread post by Darrell » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:06 am

This is the best I can do for now !!!!!!
Attachments
Bantam Fuel Tank mod 004.jpg
---- and 2 weeks later Silver soldered into place.
Bantam Fuel Tank mod 002.jpg
Now for the all important 1/8" BSP Union.

TomC

Unread post by TomC » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:25 am

Hi Darrell
Your photos look fine once I click on them.
TomC in Ohio
Darrell wrote:This is the best I can do for now !!!!!!

Darrell

Unread post by Darrell » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:02 am

Thanks for that Tom. In fact I sent 4 photo's in a sequential order. 2 arrived as you can see here albeit in the wrong order and I have no idea what has happened to the other two photo's. I'm still waiting for the chemicals to arrive that I can clean out and seal the tank with so it looks as if the new year will bring in the results of the tank modification.

Darrell

Unread post by Darrell » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:42 pm

Up-date. Chemicals have arrived for lining tank - should get round to doing this later this week. It takes 6 weeks before I can put petrol in it though due to long 'maturing' period so it will be some time before I publish the results on what the 2nd fuel outlet has achieved.

Darrell

Unread post by Darrell » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:01 pm

The results are in ! Before I release all, it was interesting for me to learn that the reserve tap as fitted as standard on my BSA Starfire gave me only 5.1 miles before the fuel tank ran dry. This is a paltry amount of 'extra' mileage once the main tank is exhausted but never-the-less good ol'e BSA saw fit to have it as a standard fitment. Armed with this information I felt better about my quest to fit a separate fuel tap onto the other side of my D14 Bantam fuel tank, especially since there seemed to be a broad band of scepticism.

The ambient air temperature at the time of this test was 11.8 degrees centigrade. I realised the importance of this once I had filled the tank to the brim (i,e, up to the shoulder upon which the fuel top cork gasket rests). Because I had 'lined' the tank with an Ethanol proof liner, I was expecting a total quantity of fuel slightly less than the stated capacity which is 8.3 litres. I was surprised that my tank held 8.4 litres. The reason for this could be I believe is that the official figure of 8.3 litres takes into consideration 'summertime temperatures'. If I had filled the tank up with 8.4 litres and then put the bike out in the sunshine, we all know that after several seconds I would have seen petrol oozing out of the breather hole in the Tank Cap. Any how, for the purpose of this test the 8.4 litre full capacity stands.

After turning on the N/S Fuel tap I let the petrol drain into my wife's Pirex measuring jug (hope she doesn't read this) and yes, the figures are not to be interpreted as laboratory level !! The main capacity of the Tank was 7.06 litres. When it had stopped dripping I did a similar routine on the new O/S 'Reserve' tap. This stopped dripping after 1.35 litres of fuel had passed through it.

The bike was on level ground on it's centre-stand with the front wheel just off the floor.

What did it cost and was it worth it ? -
1/8" BSP union - free off a mate
silver soldering of union - £20
Fuel Tap - £25
Double Metal Banjo - £4.75
Jubilee Clips for fuel pipe - £0.99
My stock items and therefore free : Fuel Pipe/Fibre Washer

I don't know what the MPG is of this particular bike - I have yet to put it on the road, but earlier in this thread I think someone suggested 60mpg which seems a tad conservative. But using those figures it will certainly travel more miles on reserve than my B25 ! - so yes it was worth it and a lot of fun.

Jamie s

Unread post by Jamie s » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:51 pm

So assuming your bantam does 50.51 mpg, thats still only 15 miles worth of fuel ?
If it does 60.61mpg, then thats 18 miles worth of fuel
If it does 70.72 mpg then thats 21 miles worth

Seems pointless to me tbh.
07 bandit 1250 GT, 1978 R80/7 "wobble"

Johnser

Unread post by Johnser » Tue May 10, 2011 4:22 pm

you're mad!

as has been said - that is your "reserve" I commute 20miles a day on my bantam and on more occasions than I care to recall has the "reserve" got me just far enough to the next petrol station. There is very little left in the tank at this point and depending how vigorously you've been riding just before, I'd estimate there is between 1 and 5 miles left in the opposite saddle..... if you think you can judge the amount of fuel left in your tank that accurately, go for it! but don't say you weren't warned if you judge it wrongly one day!

EDIT; just re-read the last posts of thread and realise you have a reserve tap fitted anyway - makes more sense with that, but still a bit daft imho.

Darrell

Unread post by Darrell » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:48 pm

Up-date: I realise this thread needs a conclusion and please bear with me but I have only just got the bike on the road after jumping through many hoops in order to use the original registration instead of the 'age related' one given many years ago.

It was my intention to run the bike on a full tank of fuel noting the mileage when the main tank (left hand side tap) exhausted and then switching to the 'reserve' (right hand side tap) noting the mileage when that side exhausted. Only then could I post the extra mileage I had gained from fitting the 2nd fuel tap.

Sadly, the engine has seized twice since it has been put on the road using this first replenishment of the fuel tank. I am currently addressing the problem (when I find it) and will publish the figures just as soon as I can.

In an effort not to 'dilute' this thread by discussing what could be causing the seizures, I would prefer to open another thread (or not) asking for advice on this problem.

Thanks