Adding a 2nd fuel tank outlet

Classic Bike Forum's very own Bantam Guru dispenses expert advice on all things Bantam related.
Darrell

Re: Adding a 2nd fuel tank outlet

Unread post by Darrell » Mon May 14, 2012 11:55 pm

Thanks for that Greenbat - I don't think the extra fuel tap was the sole cause of it, but the inordinate amount of time spent in the Garage and workshop definately did not help !! :roll:

FastFrank

Unread post by FastFrank » Tue May 15, 2012 8:01 am

My best mate here in Yorkshire is called Darrell, I have a cousin called Darrell and one of my neighbours is called Darrell... all of which get 'Daz', I just supposed it was the worldwide shortening of Darrell.

Frank
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen!

Darrell

Unread post by Darrell » Tue May 15, 2012 1:32 pm

Yeah, pretty normal Frank when you come to think of it. One of my bosses (in my working days) used to call me 'Dazzle' which made me larf. You would too if you saw me - a 'Dazzler' I ain't !!

note to 'web site manager', sorry about the 'non related bike chatter - it's very hard to ignore the amusing banter from typical good guys

Dazzle ? ;)

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Tue May 15, 2012 7:05 pm

None bike chatter seems to be the main reason for this forum.
Classics ain't built in Metric

Darrell

Unread post by Darrell » Wed May 16, 2012 9:45 pm

:)

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Thu May 17, 2012 1:50 pm

FastFrank wrote:My best mate here in Yorkshire is called Darrell, I have a cousin called Darrell and one of my neighbours is called Darrell... all of which get 'Daz', I just supposed it was the worldwide shortening of Darrell.
It's also short for Darren.
Although I always called my mate Darren 'Scrote'

Darrell

Unread post by Darrell » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:55 pm

Gentlemen, the results are in.

Today I did a local round trip to Ross-on-Wye and back during which time the fuel was completely exausted from the nearside fuel tap. At this point I turned on my offside 'Reserve' fuel tap and carried on my way until the Bantam stuttered to a stop. The following figures are a mileage account taken from the speedo (to the nearest mile) from the last fill up:

Chronometer reading at last fill up = 10501 miles
Chronometer reading at point of switching to 'Reserve' fuel tap = 10648 miles
Chronometer reading when Bantam engine stalled through lack of fuel = 10656

So then - 8 precious miles ? No doubt the time honoured ritual of 'laying down of bike' would have acheived the same result - but with my 'back' - forget it !

I must say I am dissapointed with the figures since I was expecting it to have travelled further on 'Reserve' than what it actually did. But, having said that, I now know what the fuel tank (including Reserve) is capable of and can work the husbandary of replenishing the petrol around that.

One final thought. During the early pages of this thread I published the test figures showing the capacities in the fuel tank of both the 'Main' fuel tap and the 'Reserve' fuel tap. From memory (I'm not clever enough to leave this 'post a reply' page and go and look what figures are quoted without losing what has been written so far !) the 'Reserve' fuel tap was shown to have held about 0.8 litre. It was with this figure in mind, why I expected to travel on reserve further than what I actually acheived. Bearing in mind those figures were acheived in my garage without the wheels turning once - it was just a 'fill it up and empty it out' exercise. Clearly, when used on the road there is a percentage of fuel that gets transferred from one side of the fuel tank to the other when it's all sloshing around. Yes, I know all quite obvious and logical to expect that. It's just that with the delicate way my Bantam is used, I didn't think it would have had such a profound effect on the results !! But there we are ?

I now await with baited breath for the onslaught of scorn and ridicule from my fellow 'Bantamers' - honesty costs !

Bring it on chaps.

Greenbat

Unread post by Greenbat » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:21 pm

8 miles isn't a bad reserve, wouldn't surprise me if some bikes have similar anyway. Some useful info for anyone thinking of similar. Did you leave both taps open on reserve, as some will undoubtedly splash back over?

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:19 am

Scorn ?
Sorry, you'll get none from me.
I suppose I could say "I told you so", but what would be the point ?
Only you know how much money you've spent solving a problem that no-one else knew existed, but if you're happy then I suppose that's OK.
8 miles ?
That's almost a gnat's bollock full - a bit more than I thought you'd get !

Darrell

Unread post by Darrell » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:10 am

Blimey ! Greenbat and Mighty Gusset - you are slipping !!! your latest comments nearly made it all worth while for me to share my experience of this extra fuel tap project, for in the past you have been known to make this scribe hide under his bench til' called in for tea ! Sometimes, writing on these pages is like lighting a firework - light bluetouch paper and all that ? :lol:

It's a good point to raise about "Did you leave both taps open on reserve, as some will undoubtedly splash back over?" - yes, I did leave both taps open when 'on reserve' - but to be honest, it was not something I thought about at the time - I sort of 'de-faulted' ??