Bantam D10

Classic Bike Forum's very own Bantam Guru dispenses expert advice on all things Bantam related.
impstan

Re: Bantam D10

Unread post by impstan » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:20 pm

Hooli, PM sent

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:05 pm

PM, replied.
Classics ain't built in Metric

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:18 pm

Now then boys n girls, are we sitting comfy?
Good then I'll begin :lol:
Greeno, we've found the engine number, it's BD10239. Looking at the gearbox I reckon it's a three speed as it's only got four slots on the selector plate. I've fiddled with other bits to go into the smoke generator & it appears the big end is shot. I can feel movement when I wiggle it up n down against the crank.
Done nowt else with it yet as I'm busy trying to make the Landy have 4WD ready for winter.

Greenbat

Unread post by Greenbat » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:41 am

Hooli wrote:Now then boys n girls, are we sitting comfy?
Good then I'll begin :lol:
Greeno, we've found the engine number, it's BD10239. Looking at the gearbox I reckon it's a three speed as it's only got four slots on the selector plate. I've fiddled with other bits to go into the smoke generator & it appears the big end is shot. I can feel movement when I wiggle it up n down against the crank.
Done nowt else with it yet as I'm busy trying to make the Landy have 4WD ready for winter.

Yep, big end will be buggered then! Get onto T&G autos, 01908579799. Or get a bid on this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSA-BANTAM-EN ... 43ab5ae4fd

Or this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSA-BANTAM-EN ... 2c60ec843a

Might still need the same amount of work, but it'll be a better engine. I've got a fair bit of D14 spares, including a crank.

supersix

Unread post by supersix » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:42 am

Hooli! I'm confused! WTF are you doing with a Banny? I mean all the crap you've given us 2-smoke boys. Or, have you finally seen the light? :twisted:

sfb

Unread post by sfb » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:48 am

supersix wrote:Hooli! I'm confused! WTF are you doing with a Banny? I mean all the crap you've given us 2-smoke boys. Or, have you finally seen the light? :twisted:

He's just under the thumb - Vicki has trained him!

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:16 pm

sfb wrote:
supersix wrote:Hooli! I'm confused! WTF are you doing with a Banny? I mean all the crap you've given us 2-smoke boys. Or, have you finally seen the light? :twisted:

He's just under the thumb - Vicki has trained him!

This!

Mrs Hooli has got a Bantam, not me. That just means I get to build the bloody thing :lol:

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:46 pm

Update, we palmed out building a chicken to a fool who offered as he's built two smokes for years. We have a current list of faults with the engine that 'you shouldn't need more than a set of bearings in'.

Piston buggered.
Barrel buggered.
Damaged alt/gen (whatever it is) cover from a snapped chain in the past, can be fixed with chemical metal.
A gearbox bearing is either wrong or has damaged the casing as it appears to be soldered in.
Big end buggered.
Small end buggered.

I think that's all of it. So looks like we might be investigating massive overbores to save buying a new barrel & so forth.

Greenbat

Unread post by Greenbat » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:32 am

Hooli wrote:Update, we palmed out building a chicken to a fool who offered as he's built two smokes for years. We have a current list of faults with the engine that 'you shouldn't need more than a set of bearings in'.

Piston buggered.
Barrel buggered.
Damaged alt/gen (whatever it is) cover from a snapped chain in the past, can be fixed with chemical metal.
A gearbox bearing is either wrong or has damaged the casing as it appears to be soldered in.
Big end buggered.
Small end buggered.

I think that's all of it. So looks like we might be investigating massive overbores to save buying a new barrel & so forth.

T&G will overbore the barrel to 185, and fit a stronger conrod assembly. Most of what you mention you'd replace in a 2 stroke rebuild anyway, since you doubtless intend to thrash it a bit.

Velton

Unread post by Velton » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:47 am

Don't forget the oil seals!!!
Just being old doesn't make it a "Classic."

Aaaah! Nostalgia is not what it used to be!