Back on the bikes

Classic Bike Forum's very own Bantam Guru dispenses expert advice on all things Bantam related.
Zorst

Back on the bikes

Unread post by Zorst » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:43 am

Hi all

New member and first post so please be gentle. I am at that stage of life where I need to do something to get my mind away from work. For a while I have had the urge to get a basket case and restore a bike from the frame up. Well, that time has come and amongst the garage of bikes (well, 3 bikes) at my parents house, I recall a BSA Bantam D1 hiding at the back of the garage in bits, so tonight I have phoned my father and I now have a Bantam to restore.

Passed my test on a Bantam D7 (yes I know. It's a 175cc :twisted: ) in the early 90's, then had a 350cc BSA B40 ex Aux Fire service. I can not really see me riding this one as I am of a large frame unlike the bantam, so I am using this as a mechanical exercise. I will try to post updates when I can and will get some pictures tomorrow to start you off.

Andy

Zorst

Re: Back on the bikes

Unread post by Zorst » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:09 pm

I have been to my fathers and have taken a few pictures of the Bantam. As always with basket cases, there are things missing. One of them is proof of ownership. It was given to my dad to rebuild over 10 years ago, but a lot of the parts were not there as you can see in the pictures, so we need to contact the owner to let them know of my intentions and to see if A) Do they want it back B) How much do they want for it if they don't ?

It looks to be an early pre 1950's model as it has a rigid frame. Paintwork needs re doing and lots of parts are needed. Last time I built a bike, we didn't have eBay and had to wait for autojumbles at the weekends, so hopefully getting parts will be a lot easier.

jimmy

Unread post by jimmy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:44 pm

Alright mate, welcome to the forum, its quite quiet nowadays but a wee rebuild may waken it up a bit (hopefully)

Dont be spending any money until you have the v5 in your name

johnr

Unread post by johnr » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:38 am

and whatever we dont like, we all do like our bantams!

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:53 pm

Lovely colours & I do like a rigid.
Classics ain't built in Metric

supersix

Unread post by supersix » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:23 pm

Got a soft spot for Bantams! Hope you get it fettled in time :D

Greenbat

Unread post by Greenbat » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:16 pm

jimmy wrote:Alright mate, welcome to the forum, its quite quiet nowadays but a wee rebuild may waken it up a bit (hopefully)

Dont be spending any money until you have the v5 in your name
Could be difficult. If you can't find the previous owner, you have to apply for a V5. To do so you'll need an MOT on it, so it'll at least have to be made road legal. The DVLA then send a letter to any previous owners on file asking if they have a problem, silence being taken as no, everything is fine. Easy enough process.
Bantams are a great little bike. If you're worried about speed might I suggest looking for a late model D14 or B175 engine? It'll drop straight in and give you 12hp and around 65mph on a good day.

mervin

Unread post by mervin » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:19 pm

you will not need an MOT if you have the reg number and it is till on the DVLA files check here https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
classic japbikefest 2 http://www.vjmc.com/japbikefest/