1 1/2 Stroke

Classic Bike Forum's very own Bantam Guru dispenses expert advice on all things Bantam related.
Looper

1 1/2 Stroke

Unread post by Looper » Sun May 31, 2015 10:21 pm

Hi, I've a D1 Bantam that tends to lurk in the shed and only gets started every year or so. I challenged a friend with an old Honda 50 to a race tomorrow but having spent a while on it today it's not going be able to compete. It's starting ok but wont run right, it seems to be struggling to two stroke properly, just a lot of banging and burbling when I lift the throttle. It will then suddenly rev up fine for a while then go back to struggling. In fairness there's nothing really right with the engine, low compression, ancient ignition components, and a carb that needs a good cleaning. Having said that it ran fine a few years ago. I haven't much time or money to spent on it so what I'm wondering is what to tackle first? It kind of needs everything doing but that's not likely to happen, any ideas where to start? Many thanks.

mervin

Re: 1 1/2 Stroke

Unread post by mervin » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:52 pm

clean the carb and replace the plug i reckon
classic japbikefest 2 http://www.vjmc.com/japbikefest/

Looper

Unread post by Looper » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:53 pm

Thanks mervin, will do. The poor bike really needs some love and attention but time is tight. I'll start there and see if it cures it.

nickjaxe

Unread post by nickjaxe » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:01 pm

Dump the fuel as well...modern stuff has a shortish life and gums up carbs as well.

The Bantam owners club has a good web site open to non members...a welth of info to be had.

http://www.bsabantamclub.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nick.