T90 Charging

Has your Voskhod broke again? Suffering dodgy Italian electrics? Post your tales of woe here. Or ask odd questions about the rear wheel spacer on a Vincent Black Widow, should it take your fancy.
G6SRE

T90 Charging

Unread post by G6SRE » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:20 pm

Hi I have a 1963 T90 with a 5TA engine, converted ages ago to 12V with a +earth Zener, the battery is a sealed gel and has been like this for the last 4 or so years. Problem is just lately the ammeter doesn't show a charge but the headlight gets brighter when revved. The battery is not a bike battery but one taken from electric pushbike even after a night on charge only shows about 11.7V and had dropped to 10.7V after a short run. So I guess the next step is a new battery but any other ideas would be welcome

Thanks

Antoni

Re: T90 Charging

Unread post by Antoni » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:43 pm

To put it bluntly I think the battery is shagged. At the end of their service life they go 'high resistance' They stop caring about their terminal voltage and sit at whatever is offered to them - hence little or no charge current even when they have little or no charge. I'm assuming the battery won't run the lights for long when the engine is not running.
-G4ZRE