Triumph OIF Oil Filter Kit

Has your Voskhod broke again? Suffering dodgy Italian electrics? Post your tales of woe here. Or ask odd questions about the rear wheel spacer on a Vincent Black Widow, should it take your fancy.
Willpower

Triumph OIF Oil Filter Kit

Unread post by Willpower » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:52 pm

Good day All.

Been assessing my options re oil filters for my T120 and I've had a look on line at the 'Kirby Rowbotham' solution, which looks quite smart.

The KR solution does involve them doing some work to the timing gear cover, and the kit comprises of a car type filter bolted to the frame. This filter is on the oil feed line rather than the return.

It seems quite a logical solution, ensuring that ony filtered oil is being delivered to the motor. It's worth a look at on line.

Question is, does anyone on the forum know of anyone using the KR solution and what are your thoughts?

Regards, Willpower.

Hooli

Re: Triumph OIF Oil Filter Kit

Unread post by Hooli » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:05 pm

not heard of that kit. ive got the cansiter filter one that goes in the return line. i could plumb it into the feed i guess, might save the next oil pump when i find another bit of blasting grit in the frame.

if you mount the canister with a big u-bolt under the swingarm its damn near invisible when you look at the bike.
Classics ain't built in Metric

chilly

Unread post by chilly » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:39 pm

Heard of the KR one and sounds like a good idea.
I have an ordinary spin on car filter in the return on my 650 Triumph,been on there for years,seems ok so far,and most probably a fair bit cheaper at approx £20.
Always seems swings and roundabouts to me,oil filtered before or after,if your running 20/50 or similar multi grades a filter anywhere will be a bonus.

nogthebold

Unread post by nogthebold » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:59 pm

There are a few very tidy filters available that are like a tube that fit the T120 filter. I made it more difficult for myself, as usual, by converting a soap dispenser I had lying around. Chromed brass job left over from a hotel. Now it makes the rest of the bike look tatty. :D

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n393 ... CF0007.jpg" target="_blank

Hope I've got these photo uploads right, I did read the pointers.

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:16 pm

here is where my filter is hidden away, its almost the only view you can see it from.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m66/ ... CT0227.jpg" target="_blank
Classics ain't built in Metric

paulcali3

Unread post by paulcali3 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:26 pm

I found a big round magnet (3 inch) and stuck it to the gauze filter in the frame tube (1972 Triumph TR6)...traps all the tiniest metal bits (as long as they're magnetic of course). has worked for years. Also araldited a small magnet in the sump drain cap on crankcase..it all helps!