Making cables

Has your Voskhod broke again? Suffering dodgy Italian electrics? Post your tales of woe here. Or ask odd questions about the rear wheel spacer on a Vincent Black Widow, should it take your fancy.
Looper

Making cables

Unread post by Looper » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:45 am

Anyone had any experience making their own cables? Having trouble getting the right cables for my 1950 B31 and I think it might be the way to go. Any good suppliers for the parts? Thanks.

Hunter

Re: Making cables

Unread post by Hunter » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:39 am

If your still looking to have a go, try searching Bowden cables on eBay. Most stuff available.

DAVE M2

Unread post by DAVE M2 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:40 am

it's not hard, but can be a bit of a pain and I am lazy and own triumphs, so castles are pretty easy to find.

the makings are easy to obtain.

youtube probably has a video "how to "

the important bit (sorry if you know) is to ensure that you spread the cable out so the soldered bit is too large to pull through the nipple.
The solder does not hold the cable, the larger end is wedged by the solder so it will not pull through

gautrek

Unread post by gautrek » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:32 pm

I find that making cables is fairly easy. You just need a good cut in the cable. I find using a chisel gives the best results. I also find that if I do a brilliant job of soldering the end on then I have usually forgotten to slide the adjusters on before fitting the nipple.
I used the universal kits off ebay as its got all the bits you need to make each cable. I did then send my throttle cable off to JJ cables and they made me a "proper" one to fit my trail bike out of multi strand wires which is needed to go round a trial throttle assembly.
But I am surprised that you can't get made up ones for your BSA. You should be able to get made up throttle/choke and ad/retard off ebay if you know the lengths you need.
1937 350cc Red Panther trial bike
1975 650cc Ural outfit(http://www.russianbike.co.uk/)
1983 R80 BMW.

coming soon a 1938 model 85 350 cc Redwing Panther(when I get it rebuilt)

Looper

Unread post by Looper » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:25 am

Thanks for the replies. I'll have a look on ebay for a kit and give it a go. I ordered cables for it a few weeks ago and two of the ones I got that were listed as being for my bike were wrong. As I have the old cables I can take the fittings and adjusters off and match up the lengths. It'll be a handy skill to learn. Thanks.

Hunter

Unread post by Hunter » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:31 pm

Looper wrote:. (It'll be a handy skill to learn. Thanks.
)
A tip, clamp the inner in a vice between a pair of soft jaws,drop the nipple over the cable, and splay the cable with a nail to fill the depression in the nipple. Fill with solder.

BenG

Unread post by BenG » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:09 pm

Get some quality flux from a plumbing supply house that is rated for joining non-ferrous metals, this way it will work on anything you end up with, it is very cheap.

Get solid solder, if it has any sort of core then it is not good for making cables.

Use a simple propane torch and use as little heat as possible. If you over-heat the cable there is a good chance you are going to ruin any heat-treatment or temper it has and it will break in use.

Bicycle brake cables can be found that are the same gauge as a lot of throttle cables and they can be cheap and very high quality, so it is worth checking out the local bicycle shop if you need a throttle cable quickly.

gautrek

Unread post by gautrek » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:45 pm

Apparently you want 60/40 solder as thats the stronger stuff to use. You can also buy a thing called a solder pot which is a small metal pot on a heater. you make your end up and then just dip it into the pot which is full of melted solder.There are lots of cheap ones on ebay

In fact I have just got a solder pot off ebay for less than £10. Its only 220 volts but a new plug and it should be ok.
I have only got to wait a couple of weeks for it to come
1937 350cc Red Panther trial bike
1975 650cc Ural outfit(http://www.russianbike.co.uk/)
1983 R80 BMW.

coming soon a 1938 model 85 350 cc Redwing Panther(when I get it rebuilt)