Changing the oil on a '65 Tiger Cub barn find

Has your Voskhod broke again? Suffering dodgy Italian electrics? Post your tales of woe here. Or ask odd questions about the rear wheel spacer on a Vincent Black Widow, should it take your fancy.
Scooter

Changing the oil on a '65 Tiger Cub barn find

Unread post by Scooter » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:21 pm

Greetings to all.

I rescued a 1965 Triumph TC20 Tiger Cub from a barn in Pennsylvania (USA) two weeks ago. The bike has been sitting since the late 1970's. The prior owner, a car guy, would remove the plug and spray some Blaster in to keep the piston from sticking. It worked. It turns over fine. Now in the process of doing a sympathetic restoration on it. Make it safe and stop there.

To that end I have a question about changing out the engine oil. There is oil in the reserve tank now and it actually looks very good. Still has the golden yellow color you would expect to see with new oil.

My plan is to fill with Porsche "classic" 20W50 motor oil. Formulated for their older 1950 - 1970's cars. Low detergent, low ash, high thermal breakdown oil made for less-than close tolerance vehicles. Castrol makes a similar type of product but it is not sold in the USA or I'd use that.

So what do I do. Normally, on a bike I've been riding I'd run the engine up to temperature and then drain the oil while warm.

Do I:

1) Follow that same procedure

2) Or it best to drain the oil and clean the strainer before trying to start her up and not take a chance of any moisture or crud getting where it should not be?

3) or would you recommend do #2 but, instead, fill with a cheap oil, run up to temp and then drain that oil and refill with the premium "classic" stuff.

Some advice will be greatly appreciated.

DAVE M2

Re: Changing the oil on a '65 Tiger Cub barn find

Unread post by DAVE M2 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:13 am

pop over to the tiger cub forum.
registration is needed and you need to respond to the message quickly before it expires (I think)

http://www.cubsite.com/Cubs.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

my cubs use straight 30 (56 and 60)

I'd dump the oil and clean the filters ut loads of people would start and then dump. The oil tank is the ONLY tank, not a reserve.

nothing wrong with NJK plugs

Scooter

Unread post by Scooter » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:22 pm

I've decided to use two oils for my '65 tiger cub. Will run the Porsche classic 20w50 for the engine and use Honda 10w40 for both the gear and primary chain cases. The Honda is a milder, non-detergent oil with no friction modifiers as used in modern automobile oils. Designed for use with wet clutch motorcycles that can be damaged by oil containing FM's. The Porsche classic is a mineral based, low detergent engine oil made for their vintage automobiles. It should work nicely in the cub.

One note here: Castrol makes a classic oil that would also seem to be the way to go for the cub's engine but they do not offer that here in the USA for some reason.

I have set the bike to draining in all three chambers. Will likely refill and run for a spell then drain one more time and add the final oil at the start of next season. Usually like to change out the oil after a winter's sitting to get rid of any moisture buildup in the cases.

Triton Thrasher

Unread post by Triton Thrasher » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:58 pm

Scooter wrote:I Honda 10w40 for both the gear and primary chain cases.
Probably fine in your primary. A bit thin for a British gearbox. Use your 20W/50, or gear oil.

DAVE M2

Unread post by DAVE M2 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:14 pm

chances are that there is a thick pile of gunk at the bottom of the oil tank.
If you have a paraffin gun, rinse the tank, or use a bottle brush type thing to dig it out and flush.

Scooter

Unread post by Scooter » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:17 pm

Triton Thrasher wrote:
Scooter wrote:I Honda 10w40 for both the gear and primary chain cases.
Probably fine in your primary. A bit thin for a British gearbox. Use your 20W/50, or gear oil.
Thanks for the input. I have not re-filled the gear box so will go with the 20W50 as you suggest.

Scooter

Unread post by Scooter » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:23 pm

DAVE M2 wrote:chances are that there is a thick pile of gunk at the bottom of the oil tank.
If you have a paraffin gun, rinse the tank, or use a bottle brush type thing to dig it out and flush.
Not sure what a paraffin gun is so I know I do not own one. I still have to drain the tank and will scout out the inside for
gunk.

Detour Rd.

Unread post by Detour Rd. » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:26 am

what part of Pennsy Scooter? I'm here at the jersey shore.
We have similar bikes though yours is earlier version.