How on earth!

Has your Voskhod broke again? Suffering dodgy Italian electrics? Post your tales of woe here. Or ask odd questions about the rear wheel spacer on a Vincent Black Widow, should it take your fancy.
Notsospeedy

How on earth!

Unread post by Notsospeedy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:48 pm

Finally getting to the engine electrics on my 5T. It has coil and distributor but how on earth are you supposed to get to the innards?

When the distributor is in place, with the coil sat on top it's all very snug, but I came to set the points gap and do a bit of checking so cap off. Not too bad, just undo the spring clips, cap comes off and you can get inside. However, how do you get the clips back on especially the lower one? It's underneath and close to the rear of the crankcase so it's impossible to get your fingers in there to push the clip. The cap gets in the way from the front and there's been a lot of rude words in my garage lately. :o
Next time I have the distributor off (I'll have to re-time it ) I'm going to drill a hole in the end of the clip so I can get something to pull it into place.

After I found one of my spark plugs was duff I got to thinking about earthing. Normally to check a plug I rest it against the fins, kick it over and look for a spark. I can't do that on the 5T as the cylinder and head are stove enamelled so ran a wire from the plug body to an earth lead. This worked fine but then I though, how is the engine earthed?
Unlike cars, there's no earth lead from the battery to the engine. Is it supposed to rely on frame contact? If so I'm going to have to scrape paint off engine plates or head steady or???? and also ensure I have a good earth from battery to frame. At present I'm running earth headers and leads to the battery to get good continuity. I may do like cars and run a lead but how is it supposed to work?

Finally is there anywhere that I can get parts for the distributor - like the small springs for the bob weights.

Cheers

Malcolm

Hooli

Re: How on earth!

Unread post by Hooli » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:21 pm

They do normally earth through the frame, but running a decent earth lead isn't a bad idea. Do the same from the headlight etc if you do as they earth via greasy steering bearings normally, which is a lovely idea as I'm sure you know.
Classics ain't built in Metric

Notsospeedy

Unread post by Notsospeedy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:41 pm

Yep already done that. Earths for the Pilot light, headlight,horn,speedo bulb all join together in the shell then one decent wire runs back to the battery. Same at the back, a separate earth wire back to the battery. I'm not using the frame as a big wire so will have to earth the engine.

Malcolm

johnr

Unread post by johnr » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:43 pm

when you say the coil is snug what do you mean? my coil is under the seat. the distributor clips are easy enough to access, you can lift the distributor out and move it round a bit if you cant get at the clips. post pics if you can.

DerryUK

Unread post by DerryUK » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:30 am

There is nothing wrong with using the frame as an earth, after all that''s how the bike left the factory.

Notsospeedy

Unread post by Notsospeedy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:03 pm

This is how snug the distributor is! The coil sits on top of it on a platform.

and this is the end of the clip

Just can't get my fingers onto it.

Going to use the frame for the engine earth, just wondered why they don't use earth straps like cars.

Malcolm

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:54 pm

Cars tend to have had rubber engine mounts for a lot longer than bikes. Look at a modern bike with rubber mounts & they do have earth leads from the block.
Classics ain't built in Metric

Triton Thrasher

Unread post by Triton Thrasher » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:39 pm

This one is oriented differently.

As it is, can you get a long screwdriver to lever or press the long part of the clip in toward the distributor body, while you also hold the cap in place? That might elongate the clip, so it snaps into place.

That's how I always clipped car distributor caps on.

Notsospeedy

Unread post by Notsospeedy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:28 pm

The clips on mine are very tight. To get that clip off I have to lever it off with a screwdriver, it's not possible to press it off with a finger and the only way I can get it on is with a lever to hold it against the body but also I have to use a pice of thick wire in the angle of the clip to pull it just over the edge of the cap then push it into place with another screwdriver. It goes with a very solid click!
Checking the points will be one of those jobs that's going to get neglected as it's so difficult.

Next time I take the whole lot off I'm going to measure the size of the clips. I've seen on "the distributor doctor" website that they have replacements of various lengths. Could be worth experimenting with different one's.

At least I've now got a spark at the plugs and I'm really pleased as I've had to effectively make my own wiring loom. :D

Malcolm

Triton Thrasher

Unread post by Triton Thrasher » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:06 pm

Wonder if you can bend the clip, or file the bit of the cap it goes over.