Blowing fuses on my '59 Tiger 110 with Wassell Regulator

Has your Voskhod broke again? Suffering dodgy Italian electrics? Post your tales of woe here. Or ask odd questions about the rear wheel spacer on a Vincent Black Widow, should it take your fancy.
Tiger110

Re: Blowing fuses on my '59 Tiger 110 with Wassell Regulator

Unread post by Tiger110 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:22 pm

Hi trophy .... the old regulator has been removed. The wiring checks out ok. Thanks for the advice. ... Clive

Hi DerryUK ... thanks for the diagram showing the wiring via the ammeter. A great help! It would solve a lot of problems (well mine at least!) if Wassell provided this as an alternative in addition to their own. Anyway, from what I see the black wire with the fuse goes to one of the terminals on the ammeter and the wire back to the battery goes from the other terminal of the ammeter. Does it matter what wire goes to the positive terminal on the ammeter and the other from the negative terminal on the ammeter back to the battery and is the feed to the lights + or - from the ammeter? Thanks for going to the trouble of posting the PDF diagram, much appreciated. Thank god for forums! .... Clive

DerryUK

Unread post by DerryUK » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:38 am

On the face of it no it doesn't matter Clive.

1) But, as far as the ammeter is concerned you want it to show discharge with the lights on and the engine stopped. So the lights supply needs to be on the same ammeter terminal as the Wassel.

2) If you put the lights supply on the same ammeter terminal as the battery then the ammeter will read zero with the lights on and the engine stopped. Your lights will still work though.

This is because with the engine stopped the battery is the only source of power so in 1 above power will flow through the ammeter to get to the lights and the ammeter shows discharge. In 2 above no power flows through the ammeter to get to the lights so it will read zero.

The ammeter + terminal is connected to the Wassel and the - terminal to your battery.

Derry.

Tiger110

Unread post by Tiger110 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:54 am

Hi DerryUK .... thanks once again for the good advice. I'll try and do what you suggested. The pre-unit light switch is a 'strange' configuration. I'll try and cut/paste a diagram to show you what I mean if I can.... Regards, Clive