BSA starfire, not starting.

Has your Voskhod broke again? Suffering dodgy Italian electrics? Post your tales of woe here. Or ask odd questions about the rear wheel spacer on a Vincent Black Widow, should it take your fancy.
Crankcase

Re: BSA starfire, not starting.

Unread post by Crankcase » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:02 am

Guess a new condenser will not break the bank and it eliminates a possible . As you now have a spotlessly cleaned carb . You now need to check the spark sparks when it should ;) check then recheck the timing marks then reset the points rig up a test light to show exactly when they open beats using a fag paper.
I dont know how you have checked the AAU but the only way is to remove the unit dont use a puller or force just remove the bolt then a gentle tap on the unit and it will pop out if you have a good one you are bloody lucky they usually play up by stalling the engine at junctions traffic lights etc by sticking on full advance a worn unit may be the reason you can get the bike to start but not run.
Happy fettling.

PS Sorry if I have pointed out the bleeding obvious but diagnostics on the internet are akin to reading tea leaves
A bike on the road is worth two in the garage.

Looper

Unread post by Looper » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:50 pm

Embarrassed to say but all it needed was a new plug. I'm sure the attention to the points, carb etc hasn't been a waste of time but I managed to get a plug (not the right one but close) at a local place and she's starting like a champ. Must have been a very weak spark even though it looked ok to me. Just got to fix the rest of it now, total restoration needed. Thanks to everyone for their help.

DerryUK

Unread post by DerryUK » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:23 am

Good news.

The reverse happened to me once many years ago. I rebuilt a Mini engine, the whole nine-yards and it wouldn't start. I tried everything over a period of a couple of days I could think of to get it going. Nothing worked. In desperation I took out the new spark plugs I had fitted an put the old ones back in. She started straight away.

Darrell

Unread post by Darrell » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:49 am

Hi, I recently did some work on my B25 during which I had to disturb the timing. Normally the bike is a good starter but after putting it back together it took ages to start.......last time it took over 30 kicks even though it 'fired' every time. It just wouldn't catch. I had not performed a check on the timing marks using a strobe since I had marked the fixings which held the electronic ignition coils before stripping it down to do the work. The subsequent check using the strobe light confirmed that the ignition was a little retarded. After advancing the timing a little the bike now starts as it did before i,e, first, second or third kick. That is a long way of saying to you "advance your ignition a tad". If it is too far advanced, it will give a vicious 'kickback'.