Clutch on my Trumpet is being a bit silly

Has your Voskhod broke again? Suffering dodgy Italian electrics? Post your tales of woe here. Or ask odd questions about the rear wheel spacer on a Vincent Black Widow, should it take your fancy.
Frankfurt-Beesa

Clutch on my Trumpet is being a bit silly

Unread post by Frankfurt-Beesa » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:40 pm

Right, I know I should probably know this already, but since it's a while since I did any serious spannering, be gentle with me.
My 1969 T120R clutch is being a pain in the proverbial, when I want to put her in gear, the clutch doesn't disengage when I pull it. so all sorts of horrid noises are emitted from the gear box, when I get it in gear, the clutch works as it should.
So I guess the plates are simply sticking together too well
Wrong type of oil in Primary, would be my first guess, any better suggestions?

Hooli

Re: Clutch on my Trumpet is being a bit silly

Unread post by Hooli » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:36 pm

Not used enough? I used to get it & had to wash the plates in petrol to sort it. Or maybe groves in the clutch basket?

Could just be too hot over there for it, I suggest posting it to me & see if it behaves in the weather it was designed for :D
Classics ain't built in Metric

Frankfurt-Beesa

Unread post by Frankfurt-Beesa » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:49 pm

Cheers Hooli, will need to open up the Primary drive as the timing is all to Bollox, I think the last Mexican who worked on it was in too much of a hurry to properly line up the cam timing marks, and the ignition timing.
Since it's been here since 20th March 1969, I think it's used to the climate, thanks for the suggestion though.

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:51 pm

Hello FB,

I assume you go through the usual Triumph ritual of kicking the engine over with clutch pulled in to free off the plates before starting and engaging gear etc.

Cheers Geoff

Frankfurt-Beesa

Unread post by Frankfurt-Beesa » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:34 am

Of course, even after riding a few miles, and frequent use of the clutch it still behaves badly when changing from neutral.

Pete R

Unread post by Pete R » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:44 am

If you free the clutch plates before you start the engine (by holding the clutch lever and using the kickstarter), it should work OK and go into gear easily.
I suspect that the spring adjustment on the pressure plate is wrong, and the pressure plate is not running true (wobbly) when the clutch lever is fully pulled in. It should have less than 0.015" runout.

It's hard to beat Type "F" ATF as a primary chain oil on pre-'70 triumph twins. '70-onward can only use engine oil, because of the breather arrangement.

Bobber-job

Unread post by Bobber-job » Mon May 18, 2015 10:28 pm

does it engage gear easier if you wind out the cable adjuster on the handlebar? (not suggesting you ride it like that) had the same issue with my '66 TR6R - that turned out to be the clutch operating mechanism - replaced that and its fine. cheers Martyn