Water in my carb

Has your Voskhod broke again? Suffering dodgy Italian electrics? Post your tales of woe here. Or ask odd questions about the rear wheel spacer on a Vincent Black Widow, should it take your fancy.
Looper

Water in my carb

Unread post by Looper » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:33 am

Hi all, I have a constant problem with water getting into the amal 276 fitted to my B31. I do live in one of the wettest parts of Ireland but was just wondering if there's anything I can do to prevent it? I don't know how it's getting in, the bike is kept under a cover, but I regularly have to blow water out of the main jet to get going. Any thoughts welcome. Cheers.

DerryUK

Re: Water in my carb

Unread post by DerryUK » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:04 am

I would suggest you drain your tank and start again with fresh fuel. Water is heavier than fuel so will always come out of your tank first.

Derry.

Looper

Unread post by Looper » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:31 pm

Thanks Derry. I don't think it's coming from the tank, but getting into the carb itself. I was thinking of a rubber bung in the bellmouth to see if getting in there. I've never had this problem before, but then the 276 is far more basic the carbs on my other bikes.

Triton Thrasher

Unread post by Triton Thrasher » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:42 pm

Water can get in where the throttle and air cables enter the carb top, too.

You might be able to slow it down with sticky tape, or shrink wrap.

Looper

Unread post by Looper » Mon May 11, 2015 7:06 pm

Thanks triton, will keep trying new things to keep the water out. Don't know how people managed back in the fifties, must have been late for work quite often.

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Tue May 12, 2015 2:42 pm

I've seen cabled 'bedded in' to the top of the carb with a bit of silicon to sort this. Do it neat & you'd have to look to notice it.
Classics ain't built in Metric

Antoni

Unread post by Antoni » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:44 pm

Bit late to comment on this thread but here goes..

It's possible that you 're getting carb icing. For the benefit of those wot don't know (there may be a few) the way a carb works encourages ice to form in the venturi under some conditions of temperature and humidity. It happenned to my brother in the 70s with his Alpha Romeo Guillia and was a known problem with the GPz750 I had. Also a big problem with small piston engined aircraft.

Ice melts after shut-down and there's your water in the float chamber.