Ignition Timing using a light bulb

Has your Voskhod broke again? Suffering dodgy Italian electrics? Post your tales of woe here. Or ask odd questions about the rear wheel spacer on a Vincent Black Widow, should it take your fancy.
Tiger110

Ignition Timing using a light bulb

Unread post by Tiger110 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:37 am

Can someone tell me how to make up a light bulb configuration to time my Tiger 110? I've read that this is a very accurate way to tell when the points begin to open on the mag other than using a feeler gauge. Thanks.

Triton Thrasher

Re: Ignition Timing using a light bulb

Unread post by Triton Thrasher » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:19 pm

To make it work on a magneto, you have to loosen the centre screw in the points plate.

Use a small bulb like an oil warning lamp.

Circuit goes: Battery live-bulb-point. Then magneto casing to other battery terminal, if it's an off-bike battery. May be the moving point or the other one, depending what sort of points plate you have. The bulb should light, then go out when the points open.

You won't find it makes you bike go any better than tugging on a fag paper or piece of cellophane, to find where the point open.

If you want meaningful accuracy, check timing with a strobe lamp.

nickjaxe

Unread post by nickjaxe » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:30 pm

Triton...I set the timing on my Bantam B!&% a few weeks ago with the test lamp idea.

I still have a strobe test for years gone by...love to try it on the bantam but I have no mark for it to be of any use and the manual only gives 16.5 deg BTC...so I can only use a timing disc wheel.

Any tip on using a strobe and would I still aim for 16.5deg BTDC.

I have tried to strobe on the bike and it still works fine.

Nick.

Willpower

Unread post by Willpower » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:31 am

If you struggle with a light, get a cheapo multi meter (£6ish) and some small crocodile clips. Ignition/voltage off, set meter to resistance and connect across the points. Same result as a light. When the points open, the meter will go open circuit.

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:36 pm

nickjaxe wrote: I still have a strobe test for years gone by...love to try it on the bantam but I have no mark for it to be of any use and the manual only gives 16.5 deg BTC...so I can only use a timing disc wheel.
Is there an inspection cover to the generator (or anything spinning once per rev)? Just set the engine to 16.5BTDC & draw a mark with paint. IIRC my Bonnie manual shows how to create a pointer out of bent wire for such situations.
Classics ain't built in Metric

nickjaxe

Unread post by nickjaxe » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:07 pm

I did try something like that I marked the stator....with the strobe it was reading aprox 12BTDC...it that to be expected.

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:25 pm

With no real idea at all, it doesn't sound too bad to me.

The only other figures I can recall is MG Midgets run 10 degrees BTDC & T140s are 38degrees on full advance.
Classics ain't built in Metric