Suzuki TS400 crankcase screws

Has your Voskhod broke again? Suffering dodgy Italian electrics? Post your tales of woe here. Or ask odd questions about the rear wheel spacer on a Vincent Black Widow, should it take your fancy.
Bobber-job

Suzuki TS400 crankcase screws

Unread post by Bobber-job » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:13 pm

Hi just rebuilding the TS engine and have replaced the Philips head c/case screws with socket cap screws. anybody know what torque to use please? they are M6. the manual just says use an impact driver cheers Martyn

Zunspec

Re: Suzuki TS400 crankcase screws

Unread post by Zunspec » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:22 pm

Hello Martyn,

I don't think you will need an impact drive if you are now using socket head screws. I use "feel", but I have stripped a few M6 case screws in the past so now have an idea of how far to go :lol: . About 6 - 8 lbs/ft or 10Nm should do it.

Cheers Geoff

DAVE M2

Unread post by DAVE M2 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:41 pm

no idea but I would use a hand held "L" allen key if possible, so it's hard to strip it
I also have the T shaped ones and sockets but take care on smaller allen.

I just noticed in my T140 book that they suggest using a box/tube spanner for the spark plugs.
Normally I use a 'proper" UJ type dedicated plug spanner with a T handle.

But Triumph advised the tube spanner and a pencil as Tommy Bar. A good ideas presumably the pencil breaks before the thread strips.

Generally tools seem to be longer than they need to be for a lot of fastenings.

Bobber-job

Unread post by Bobber-job » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:58 am

thanks - I eventually found a Suzuki service bulletin from 1975- it says M6 case screws should be 2.9 - 5.1 lb ft - I found a pre set 6NM torque key in a bicycle shop which = 4.4 lb ft so its sorted - thanks again