Home made ultrasonic-ish parts cleaner

A load of posts that show you how to do various projects, step by step.
engineeratomic

Home made ultrasonic-ish parts cleaner

Unread post by engineeratomic » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:24 am

Please don't laugh (too loud). :lol:

Here is my home made ultrasonic parts cleaner as requested. It took me less than an hour to make.

You will need:

2 off 600mm x300mm x 10mm plywood
6 Tennis Balls
1 small storage box
2 bungee cords
1 orbital sander
An offcut of rabbit hutch mesh to make a basket

Instructions:
1. Draw around the box onto one piece of plywood
2. Within the confines of the oblong you have just drawn, drill 6 off 40mm holes using a hole saw.
3. Screw the 2 pieces of plywood together and place one tennis ball in each hole. The tennis balls support the box and isolate it from the bench so it can vibrate freely...

4. Strap the orbital sander to the edge of the box usinga pair of bungee cords. Note the type of orbital sander used here is a 150W at 10,000rpm. It has nice flat edges so the cords hold it in place. Although the sander spins at 10,000, it will generate harmonics at 20,000, 30,000 Hz etc.

5. Locate the box onto the tennis balls. The moulding lip on the bottom of the box will prevent it from sliding off. The basket
is made from rabbit hutch mesh that I had lying around folded into a tight fitting box that sits inside the storage box

6. Fill the box with 8 litres of cheap coke

7. Add your dirty parts

And turn it on...

4MB download here.
http://www.g0czd.clara.net/P1010007.MOV

I'll let you know good it is later. I have had to turn it off as it is a bit late and noisy, but it definitely works..

The total cost:

Plywood - £0.00 (ex stock)
Wire Mesh - £0.00 (ex stock)
6 Tennis Balls - £2.00 from pound shop
8 litres coke - £3.96 from Tesco
Box - £3.00 from Home and Bargain
Orbital Sander - £9.95 from B&Q

Total cost less than £20.00
--
Martyn

A Classic doesn't have to be *that* old...

sfb

Re: Home made ultrasonic-ish parts cleaner

Unread post by sfb » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:28 am

"add your dirty parts"

Have to confess, I was disappointed with the picture accompanying that comment!!!!

I will slap my own wrists and tell myself off.................

engineeratomic

Unread post by engineeratomic » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:31 am

I never thought about that.... I could have phrased it better or added a suitable caption.. :D
--
Martyn

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:20 am

Hahahaha - that's quite ingenious - well done !

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here, but you do realise you'll have to strip your carb down in order to clean them properly don't you ?

Tip: take note of which way up the floats go - if you forget, and put them in the way up that seems 'obvious' you'll be wrong !

engineeratomic

Unread post by engineeratomic » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:11 am

Hi Gus

Yes - I will strip the carbs down to clean then properly. I just chucked them in for effect... :D

I can't claim total originallity for the idea, the orbital sander bit was someone elses good idea. My contribution was the baseboard and isolating the tank using balls...

Also have different tanks. I am thinking of having a tank full of Gunk for the degreasing bit.

One question for you though, how effective is coke and cleaning out gummed jets in carbs?

Regards

M
--
Martyn

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:36 am

engineeratomic wrote:One question for you though, how effective is coke and cleaning out gummed jets in carbs ?

The Main Jet on Velton's carb had actually corroded into place and I destroyed it taking it out. Fortunately he had a spare gummed up carb I could rob for parts.
Both carb bodies went into the Cola, but I only stripped the one I was going to use right down.
The parts stayed in Cola for just a couple of hours and were cleaned up with an old toothbrush - the carb was then rinsed, dried and re-assembled.
My only real worry was the float valve, but it was just fine.
Once I'd taken it back off the bike and put the floats back in the right way up (D'Oh !) It started and ran just fine - it ticks over lovely too.
Not bad for a bike that had stood outside uncovered for a decade.
So I assume that the Cola did a Bloody Good Job !
Leaving it for longer, and agitating in your tank would probably have done a better job.
A Bicarb solution and Lemon Juice might do even better - and be cheaper - You can buy it in decent quantities from Wilkinsons.

engineeratomic

Unread post by engineeratomic » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:53 pm

Well, what a result.

I had the carbs off the Suzi 400/4 tonight and totally stripped them. The only think I couldn't get out were the pilot jets - I didn't want to risk damaging them. Chucked the carb bodies into the cleaning fluid with the 'vibrator' on for about an hour and off for an hour. They were fairly clean when they went in, but cleaner (looked sandblasted) when they came out. I then rinced them in fairy and hot water, then I added a dishwashed tablet. My god - is that stuff corrosive. I made the mistake of putting my hands in and they came out with out fingerprints. :o Didn't leave the bodies in that stuff for long!

Reassaembled the whole lot (no parts left over :) ) and fired the bike up. For the first time since I restored it, it ticks over, it settled down to 1000rpm tickover as soon as it fired up. It's a bit smokey when I blip the throttle so I think something needs leaning off a bit but am I happy bunny tonight.

Thanks Gus!

:D
--
Martyn

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:06 am

Hurrah !

But we really do need Before and After photos so that we can all see the results.

engineeratomic

Unread post by engineeratomic » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:52 pm

Hi Gus

I have another set of carbs to do (for a Suzi GS250 - another story that will bring tears of laughter to you lot and tears of frustration to me). I'll do the photos for that one if that is OK. I am not ripping the 400/4 carbs out again. :)
--
Martyn

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:38 pm

This might need moving into the Masterclass section.
We haven't had one of those for a while.