Masterclass - Tubeless puncture repair

A load of posts that show you how to do various projects, step by step.
jessplop
Location: Lancs. & India & 38,000 ft over the middle east on Air Smirnoff flight 000

Re: Masterclass - Tubeless puncture repair

Unread post by jessplop » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:26 am

New fangled enough for me Gus!
Yeah I've been "aware" of such wizardry, but not being a fan of harry porter, have never looked further into their usage.

Still, if the tyre is still the same shape all the way round when I get home, I'm happy!

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Fri May 08, 2009 12:45 pm

The Mighty Gusset wrote:In the absence of proper plugs I've used a bit of knotted string, with a patch on top.

Reading a thread on the MGOCGB forum, apparently the French use the knotted string approach almost universally.
The theory is that string will help seal an odd shaped hole/split better.

And M&P's puncture repair kit uses string :
http://www.mandp.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=547735

To my way of thinking you really need to at least partially remove the tyre and tie a knot in the string, on the inside, that way it'll never be able to pop out, however a knot on the outside would probably help push it into the hole and help it seal, but I think I'd only really trust that as a 'get you home' measure

engineeratomic

Unread post by engineeratomic » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:30 pm

One or two other things you might want to do:

Mark the tyre adjacent to any balance weights that have been fitted so you don't have to worry about getting the wheel rebalanced again. Line up the tyre mark with the balance weights when you refit
    Also make sure the tyre goes on the right way round.. not always obvious
    Finally make sure the bead lines up properly with the rim so that the tyre site concentrically.

All really obvious I know, but all have caught me out in the past.
--
Martyn

A Classic doesn't have to be *that* old...

jessplop
Location: Lancs. & India & 38,000 ft over the middle east on Air Smirnoff flight 000

Unread post by jessplop » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:10 pm

An unbalanced wheel might help cancel out engine vibration......... :roll:

Webby

Unread post by Webby » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:42 am

Just to add to the confusion :)
Washing up liquid should not be used to help slip the tyre on the rim as it is corrosive, I would guess it wouldn't do much to a quality chromed rim but would most likely make a mess of a bare alloy one. Try using WD 40, it works a treat (and makes your tyre nice and black and shiny!)
I've had good experiences with the emergency plug repairs for tubeless tyres, they say not to ride over (I think) 70 MPH, but then we never do, it's the law (honest officer) I fitted one to an almost new tyre and then forgot about it for about the next 6000 miles. It was not until I replaced the tyre I saw the end of the plug and remembered!

Webby

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:23 pm

I've never done more than 163mph (indicated) on a emergency plugged tyre, mainly cause the plug hadn't fallen out for around 4.5k & the bike wont go any faster :lol:
Classics ain't built in Metric

Welsh Wizard

Unread post by Welsh Wizard » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:01 am

just a few things that may help,
(1)
Always mark with some chalk where the Tyre valve is, This helps if the wheel has been balanced as you may be lucky and not have to re-balance after repair.
(2)
when ever possible try and use a mushroom plug for a tyre repair, reason is it fills the hole so you don't get any crud leaking into the hole and causing the cords to rot out, or in some cases you get a bubble when the cords fail.
(3)
If tyre has a tube always shake some talc or french chalk into the tyre case, This helps the tube to inflate without any folds, also helps prevent tube becoming stuck to the tyre case ( common if you use washing up liquid ( probably the reason the tyre fitter was not happy, Tyre soap may dry off but will let go better the next time you change the tyre. ( and don't be tempted into doing a trick that earth mover tyre fitter use, and use Swaferga instead of tyre soap. It works on earth mover tyre by stick the tyre to the rim, and most large tyre are removed with a hydraulic ram setup and a Hiab crane, and they don't want bad tyre seals as the cost of down time on an Earthmover is costly.