Masterclass - Tubeless puncture repair

A load of posts that show you how to do various projects, step by step.
jessplop
Location: Lancs. & India & 38,000 ft over the middle east on Air Smirnoff flight 000

Masterclass - Tubeless puncture repair

Unread post by jessplop » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:54 pm

It’s Saturday evening, and you’ve arranged to go for a run, bright and early the following moroning. Having checked what David Fish is saying about the weather, then having made up your own mind as to whether or not there will be a hurricane, you go out to check the bike over. Horror of horrors, you’ve got a flat in your tubeless tyre, mounted on expensive cast alloy wheels. The usual thing is to whip it down to the bike shoppe and get their trained monkee to do the dirty graft for a poultry fee, but the shoppe is closed.
Tarnations! This means one will have to, finally attempt to do the task ones self, here’s how.

After ensuring it isn’t just a leaking valve, remove the wheel and locate the puncture, remember to mark its location:

Set out some wooden blocks, upon which to rest the wheel rim, whilst keeping the sprocket/disc clear of the deck.

Start by easing the first bead off its seat, a little at a time, so as not to apply to much stress to the delicate alloy:

Once the bead has been broken from the seat, work around the tyre until all of one side is freed off. Then turn the wheel over and free off the other bead.

With both beads unseated, then one can start to work the tyre over the rim, start with the tyre levers a couple of inches apart, and using one to hold the tyre in place, use the other to lever the bead over.

As more bead is worked over, it becomes easier, until all of one side is done. It is then fairly easy to pull the wheel out of the tyre.

Armed with a bicycle puncture repair kit, one can now set about fixing that nasty hole. Remember, RFM, Read the F**kin’ Manual:

Dress the area to be patched, using an abrasive:

Apply the vulcanizing solution:

Whilst waiting for the solution to cure, set the wheel aside for cleaning, this is important, as it will make refitting the tyre a piece of piss.

Following the instructions, apply the patch, and hold it firmly in place for several minutes. Once this id done, set about giving the inside of the wheel rim a darned good scrub:

To aid tyre fitting, and in the absence of “tyre soap”, silicon grease makes an excellent lubricant.

Smear your lubricant around both beads of the tyre.

The wheel should virtually fall into the tyre for the first bead.

Whilst the second bead will ease over the rim very smoothly and easily

Having got your tyre back on the wheel, the tricky part is getting it to seal, in order to reseat the beads. It is best to remove the valve core, if this wasn’t removed at the start of the job. Sealing can usually be achieved by leaning on the tyre until the sound of the air passing the tyre goes quiet, WARNING: ensure there are no body parts or items of clothing likely to get trapped when the tyre seats.

After seating, release the inflator and reinstall the valve core.

Inflate to the required pressure

And re-fit the wheel to your machine.

All being well, the tyre will still be inflated in the moroning, ready for that nice ride out, that you’ve been waiting so long for.

Note: Phots will be reduced as and when my server stops dickin' aboot!

Hooli

Re: Masterclass - Tubeless puncture repair

Unread post by Hooli » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:08 pm

excellent masterclass mr ploppy

jessplop
Location: Lancs. & India & 38,000 ft over the middle east on Air Smirnoff flight 000

Unread post by jessplop » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:36 pm

Elvis wrote: Thank you very much !
8-)

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:50 pm

I prefer to use some sort of rim protector when using tyre levers on alloy rims.
And a plug rather than a patch.
In the absence of proper plugs I've used a bit of knotted string, with a patch on top.

jessplop

Unread post by jessplop » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:56 pm

It being saturday evening, such things were not available, and as for a piece of string, a frayed knot!

jimmy

Unread post by jimmy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:54 pm

I use washing up liquid as a tyre / rim lubricant as once it goes off it forms a good seal

DAM

Unread post by DAM » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:07 pm

Washing up liquid is not a good idea when fitting tyres, it's not good for the rubber and will cause the rim to corrode.
Washing up liquid contains a lot of salt :!:

Hunter

Unread post by Hunter » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:16 pm

Liquid soap,s much better.

jimmy

Unread post by jimmy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:39 pm

DAM wrote:Washing up liquid is not a good idea when fitting tyres, it's not good for the rubber and will cause the rim to corrode.
Washing up liquid contains a lot of salt :!:

It may or may not be mate, but Ive used it since 1981 with no ill effects. It is only in the last 4 or 5 years that i only ride for fun now, so before then I put in some reasonably high mileages

iandusud

Unread post by iandusud » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:07 pm

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about because I've never had tubeless tyres on a motorbike (I thought this was a classic bike forum ;) ) but I always thought that one of the big advantages of tubeless tyres on bikes was that they can be repaired in situ without removing either the wheel or the tyre, using a plug. Am I talking hot air??

Ian