Masterclass - Tubeless puncture repair

A load of posts that show you how to do various projects, step by step.
DAM

Re: Masterclass - Tubeless puncture repair

Unread post by DAM » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:16 pm

jimmy wrote:It may or may not be mate, but Ive used it since 1981 with no ill effects. It is only in the last 4 or 5 years that i only ride for fun now, so before then I put in some reasonably high mileages

I'm not trying to tell you what to do jimmy.
I used to use washing up liquid before learning a good reason (to me) not to.

sfb

Unread post by sfb » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:52 pm

iandusud wrote:Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about because I've never had tubeless tyres on a motorbike (I thought this was a classic bike forum ;) ) but I always thought that one of the big advantages of tubeless tyres on bikes was that they can be repaired in situ without removing either the wheel or the tyre, using a plug. Am I talking hot air??

Ian

Yes, you can. I had a kit to do that. Stupidly, I used it on the W650 which had spoked wheels and tubes (in tyres that would normally be tubeless) 'cos I'd never had such wheels before - always had cast ones with tubeless tyres and it never occurred to me to do anything different :oops: . I plugged the hole, pumped up the tyre, thrashed around for a few weeks without any worries and when the tread was worn enough to bother having the tyre changed, I got very told off by an alarmed chappy at the tyre shop..........

iandusud

Unread post by iandusud » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:47 pm

That's amazing :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ian
Last edited by iandusud on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iandusud

Unread post by iandusud » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:48 pm

[/quote]

Yes, you can. I had a kit to do that. Stupidly, I used it on the W650 which had spoked wheels and tubes (in tyres that would normally be tubeless) 'cos I'd never had such wheels before - always had cast ones with tubeless tyres and it never occurred to me to do anything different :oops: . I plugged the hole, pumped up the tyre, thrashed around for a few weeks without any worries and when the tread was worn enough to bother having the tyre changed, I got very told off by an alarmed chappy at the tyre shop..........[/quote]

That's amazing :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ian

sfb

Unread post by sfb » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:49 pm

You seem very amazed, Ian!

I think I was very lucky (and stoopid)

jimmy

Unread post by jimmy » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:13 pm

DAM wrote:
jimmy wrote:It may or may not be mate, but Ive used it since 1981 with no ill effects. It is only in the last 4 or 5 years that i only ride for fun now, so before then I put in some reasonably high mileages

I'm not trying to tell you what to do jimmy.
I used to use washing up liquid before learning a good reason (to me) not to.

I know your not mate. I didnt mean to sound nippy there mate.

jessplop
Location: Lancs. & India & 38,000 ft over the middle east on Air Smirnoff flight 000

Unread post by jessplop » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:29 am

the idea of patching a leak from the outside seems a bit illogical to me (captain), maybe as a GYH, but I want the repair to last the life of the tyre, so, time and situation allowing, I'll remove the tyre and use a patch. Admittedly, this was my first tubless repair, and I only undertook it due to it being Saturday evening, and just as I was heading to the shed to do it, I was told that the horses had bust down the fence into the summer grazing, so I had to go sort that out first.

TED

Unread post by TED » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:39 pm

Understand time was against you but I used a plug type repair on numerous occasions whilst working for a large breakdown organisation, (with yellow vans). Always successful. Once thought it hadn't worked then found second puncture! Must admit wouldn't have thought the bicycle kit would be strong enough but hey, the proof of the pudding and all that!!!

jessplop
Location: Lancs. & India & 38,000 ft over the middle east on Air Smirnoff flight 000

Unread post by jessplop » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:00 pm

It only has to hold 36-38 psi, and the pressure is assisting the patch to maintain a seal. I've always used bicycle patches on inner tubes, can't really see a whole heap of difference. However, I shall investigate these new fangled pluggy things, when I return home to blight-y, if it saves having to remove the wheel, then so much the better in my view.

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:12 pm

They're hardly 'New Fangled' Jess !
BMW used to offer tubeless repair kits, consisting of plugs, glue, an 'arbor' (for enlarging the hole to suit the plug) and a can of compressed air, as an optional extra with their bikes 20 odd years ago !
They are intended purely as an emergency 'get you home' measure though.
Proper repair of a tubeless tyre requires plugging and patching from the inside.