Hello from a new Member, and quick question!

Are you new here? Come in and say hello. We won't bite...much.

If you do not receive the second email activating your account please try and log in as your email may have gone adrift. Or email me at : administrator@classicbikeforum.co.uk
Mongoose

Hello from a new Member, and quick question!

Unread post by Mongoose » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:13 am

Hello all,
just joined and am returning to biking after many years-Owned a 250 superdream last time! :o
Im looking for something oldish to tinker with that will not tax me too much to start with-general tidy up/strip and polish/ carb refurb etc
Quite like the look of the Honda 400/4, but don't care if it's Jap or a British bike.
Any suggestions on bikes that would suit and are at rock bottom, price wise now?? Ive got a 3-4k budget max, but am quite happy to spend less!
Any help would be appreciated-it's just the more I look into things, the more confused I get-Typical newbie really! :D
Thanks

Hooli

Re: Hello from a new Member, and quick question!

Unread post by Hooli » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:18 pm

Welcome.

Greenbat on here has a 400/4, not seen him about much lately to say what the prices are like though.
Classics ain't built in Metric

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:55 pm

Hello Mongoose,

400-4 prices have been on the rise but you could still get a good example within your budget. As ever a concourse standard restoration would be expensive but very presentable example is easily within range for £3-4k. You could get a cheapy at £1000 but be prepared to then spend loads (£2-4k or more depending upon the level of restoration) to restore it.

On the "what's at rock bottom" why not consider the 400 Superdream. I believe they were comparable on performance to the 400-4 and they go for a damn sight less. They are also beginning to become noticed again, particularly with those who like to change and develop their bikes (café racer, flat tracker etc.)

Cheers Geoff

Mongoose

Unread post by Mongoose » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:35 am

Thanks for the reply's.
I have actually decided to do a Yamaha YDS6.
Have found a pretty much all there straight 1969 bike.
And so the fun begins!

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:07 pm

A 2-st, good choice :D

The YDS6 is certainly a classic, good luck with the restoration.

Cheers Geoff