Hi All - project wanted

Are you new here? Come in and say hello. We won't bite...much.

If you do not receive the second email activating your account please try and log in as your email may have gone adrift. Or email me at : administrator@classicbikeforum.co.uk
andycase007

Hi All - project wanted

Unread post by andycase007 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:20 pm

Hello everyone
Just signed up - live in Morecambe, Lancashire

I wanted to ask some advice

Have never restored a bike before, but want a project for me and my son (he's 7 with a real interest)
I dont want to do it to sell for a profit, and im not bothered if it takes us 3 years to do. I want to research Youtube, forums etc, learn as we go along etc. From a aesthetics point of the view, re-doing the paint work isn't an issue as thats what i sell at work, so tools and materials are readily available.

I dont mind spending up to £800-£1000 for the right bike, but i dont want to do that and find that parts are no longer available and all i have is a pile of scrap

Could you point us in the right direction - what would be a good model / make to look out for? We really like the military style bikes - we aren't particularly interested in modern sports bikes. We want an engine that we can strip down and learn about.

I look forward to hearing from you and your help

Andy

Zunspec

Re: Hi All - project wanted

Unread post by Zunspec » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:13 pm

Hi Andy & welcome,

You are very right in that you are very unlikely to make a profit restoring bikes :D . For a starter project, and British, the faithful BSA Bantam would be a good place to start. Should be within your budget, at least before you start any restoration work, and spares are available. If you want something more modern perhaps one of the Japanese 50 - 125cc bikes, available in 2-st and 4-st varieties (Honda CB125, Suzuki 125s etc.) . The choice is quite large, although as usual pick a bike that is as complete as possible that way you only have to restore parts not chase eBay for that missing side panel :D . Have fun.

Cheers Geoff

SMIFFY R

Unread post by SMIFFY R » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:42 pm

I'd go for a single a Bantam is a good choice,easy to work on,parts cheap and easy to find....didn't do the old GPO telegram lads any harm :D
Go to Heaven for the climate....Hell for the company

andycase007

Unread post by andycase007 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:15 pm

Hi guys
Thanks for your replies
I've been offered a BSA Beagle for 895
Engine is fine although I wouldn't mind stripping it down and servicing it anyway
The body work needs attention and a re spray

What do you think of these bikes? Worth messing with or parts a nightmare?