FFS! Interesting engine though

A special place for Ash to post his finds in.
User avatar
ash
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:13 am
Location: Harz Mountains
Contact:

FFS! Interesting engine though

Unread post by ash » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:10 pm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRIKE-PICKUP-/200 ... 2eb21a0506" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.biker-hotel-harz.de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Hooli
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:52 pm
Location: Doncaster

Re: FFS! Interesting engine though

Unread post by Hooli » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:44 pm

A40 engine? best put it in the scrapyard incase some classic car bod wants parts.
Classics ain't built in Metric

User avatar
Welsh Wizard
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:26 am
Location: Far side of the World

Re: FFS! Interesting engine though

Unread post by Welsh Wizard » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:07 am

Hooli wrote:A40 engine? best put it in the scrapyard incase some classic car bod wants parts.
DO you really think there are any out there even fit for the road,the darn things rusted out within three years of new the only thing that last on an A40 was the engine and gearbox, they must be next to nothing in the srap yards

User avatar
SMIFFY R
Posts: 1792
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:17 pm
Location: Camargue,South of France

Re: FFS! Interesting engine though

Unread post by SMIFFY R » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:02 am

Where the f*ck do these people come from? :shock:
Go to Heaven for the climate....Hell for the company

User avatar
Hooli
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:52 pm
Location: Doncaster

Re: FFS! Interesting engine though

Unread post by Hooli » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:44 pm

Welsh Wizard wrote:
Hooli wrote:A40 engine? best put it in the scrapyard incase some classic car bod wants parts.
DO you really think there are any out there even fit for the road,the darn things rusted out within three years of new the only thing that last on an A40 was the engine and gearbox, they must be next to nothing in the srap yards

I see lots about at shows & so on.
Classics ain't built in Metric

User avatar
Welsh Wizard
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:26 am
Location: Far side of the World

Re: FFS! Interesting engine though

Unread post by Welsh Wizard » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:07 pm

#@&&^%^*)* HELL I didn't think that car car drivers could ever be that perverse, must be the younger generation not knowing what crappy cars they were.

supersix
Posts: 1816
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:23 am
Location: wigan and sometimes Scunny or Louth, Lincs

Re: FFS! Interesting engine though

Unread post by supersix » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:49 pm

The A40 Farina was a cracking car in it's day. My first car was a 61 Farina countryman with the same engine as that Trike effort!. OK, it's a relic now, but was always a better motor than Anglias and Minxes etc. Things move on. As Hooli says, best place for that engine is in an A35/40 or a Sprite!

scotduke
Posts: 5785
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:53 am

Re: FFS! Interesting engine though

Unread post by scotduke » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:35 pm

Umm, the A40 engine was the same as the Morris 1000 motor. It's not a bad engine for its time at least, tough, reliable and simple, if not particularly gutsy. I never had an A40 though I did learn to drive in an A60, same car my elder brother and sister learned to drive in and the car everyone in the family liked best.

supersix
Posts: 1816
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:23 am
Location: wigan and sometimes Scunny or Louth, Lincs

Re: FFS! Interesting engine though

Unread post by supersix » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:22 am

scotduke wrote:Umm, the A40 engine was the same as the Morris 1000 motor. It's not a bad engine for its time at least, tough, reliable and simple, if not particularly gutsy. I never had an A40 though I did learn to drive in an A60, same car my elder brother and sister learned to drive in and the car everyone in the family liked best.
scotty! This is the same basic motor (The BMC A series) that ran from 803cc of the Morris 8 up to the 1275cc of the Austin Maestro. A run of 40+ years. The Zenith being the 998/1098cc engines fitted to the legendary Cooper/Cooper S Mini's that battered the world's rally scene for a lot of the 1960's. A true design classic!

User avatar
DAM
Posts: 3041
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:43 pm
Location: North Cornwall

Re: FFS! Interesting engine though

Unread post by DAM » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:29 am

I had the Moggy 1000 engine in my last austin A30, annoyed the hell out of people when you overtook them on the motorway. :)

Post Reply