FFS! Interesting engine though

A special place for Ash to post his finds in.
Welsh Wizard

Re: FFS! Interesting engine though

Unread post by Welsh Wizard » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:34 am

DAM wrote:I had the Moggy 1000 engine in my last austin A30, annoyed the hell out of people when you overtook them on the motorway. :)
Last A30 I had ended up with a Lotus Cortina engine in it ( Engine came from the Mk 1 Lotus Cortina I wrote off in a crash in 68), I agree it was a great pleasure pissing the other drivers off,
Last edited by Welsh Wizard on Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

DAM

Unread post by DAM » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:38 am

Yep, mine was an early AS3 complete with trafficators.
Biggest problem was the new set of crossplys only lasted 2000 miles before they were slicks. perhaps i should not have slid it round corners.
Once i put radials on it i had trouble keeping it on all four wheels.

SMIFFY R

Unread post by SMIFFY R » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:13 am

Remember having a mini van with a Cooper'S' mill in it,coming back from Abersoch in Anglesey with a load of mates,bangin' down this long straight,just approachin' a bend,when a can of beans rolled under the brake pedal!....result? one very damaged mini van,one undamaged dry stone wall,and a perplexed plod :lol:
Go to Heaven for the climate....Hell for the company

supersix

Unread post by supersix » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:09 am

SMIFFY R wrote:Remember having a mini van with a Cooper'S' mill in it,coming back from Abersoch in Anglesey with a load of mates,bangin' down this long straight,just approachin' a bend,when a can of beans rolled under the brake pedal!....result? one very damaged mini van,one undamaged dry stone wall,and a perplexed plod :lol:
Must have been a tight bend! Minis cornerered better than most cars before or since. Hope you scoffed them beanz! :lol:

Welsh Wizard

Unread post by Welsh Wizard » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:26 am

DAM wrote:Yep, mine was an early AS3 complete with trafficators.
Biggest problem was the new set of crossplys only lasted 2000 miles before they were slicks. perhaps i should not have slid it round corners.
Once i put radials on it i had trouble keeping it on all four wheels.
1952 A30 4 door original engine was about 800cc then it had a A35 van engine fitted which required welding on the fire wall to fit the gearbox from the van, also gearbox member had to be moded, A35 was taken up to half race with new cam and head work all done during my apprenticeship ( this engine ended up in a Frog eyed sprite owned by my brother when I put the Lotus engine in), the Cortina was three quarter race tuning and the engine would not tick over below 3000rpm, to make matters worse the old A30 was hand painted with white house hold gloss painted to increase the old banger image :lol:
it was great fun and at the time my main transport was a RE Constellation 700cc twin.

scotduke

Unread post by scotduke » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:50 pm

supersix wrote:
scotduke wrote:Umm, the A40 engine was the same as the Morris 1000 motor. It's not a bad engine for its time at least, tough, reliable and simple, if not particularly gutsy. I never had an A40 though I did learn to drive in an A60, same car my elder brother and sister learned to drive in and the car everyone in the family liked best.
scotty! This is the same basic motor (The BMC A series) that ran from 803cc of the Morris 8 up to the 1275cc of the Austin Maestro. A run of 40+ years. The Zenith being the 998/1098cc engines fitted to the legendary Cooper/Cooper S Mini's that battered the world's rally scene for a lot of the 1960's. A true design classic!
Yep, I know the Morris 1000's heritage and the 1275's a great motor, especially when taken out to 1340. Umm, the Morris 1000 A series engine was an Austin engine originally though, not a Morris one and came from the A30 - not sure about which Austin had the predecessor. It was still in production for the early Metro. A mate of mine had a Morris Minor convertible (a proper one, it had the gusset plates) powered by a 1275 MG motor. It was a fun car. He did a nice job on it. Another mate of mine had a 1970 Midget bored out to 1340 and full race tuned. His family was MG crazy and him, his dad and his brother built that one for hillclimbs and rallies. It was road legal, just. it had a low ratio diff and an LSD, a roll cage and a stripped out interior. I remember we we were coming back froma gig down Queensferry Road in the early 80s and this bloke in a Porsche 928S pulled up along side at the lights. My mate said, "Watch this," revved the MG and when the lights changed we burned off and left the Porsche for dead. the MG didn't have much top end and the Porsche howled past. He waited for us at the next set of lights, no doubt thinking there was no way a slightly scruffy looking MG Midget could leave his expensive supercar for dead. The lights changed, and we did.

graffian

Unread post by graffian » Mon May 09, 2011 4:20 am

scotduke wrote:Umm, the A40 engine was the same as the Morris 1000 motor. It's not a bad engine for its time at least, tough, reliable and simple, if not particularly gutsy. I never had an A40 though I did learn to drive in an A60, same car my elder brother and sister learned to drive in and the car everyone in the family liked best.
I can remember looking at an a A60 pickup wand thinking when I got old an got a car I might get one, seemed a proper motor for a greaser;-)