this needs rescuing

A special place for Ash to post his finds in.
scotduke

this needs rescuing

Unread post by scotduke » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:55 pm

Ok, so the bloke got the engine and the frame only and added bits from there until he ended up with a bike but it really needs saving from this dreadful fate - it doesn't need to be this ugly:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/laverda-jota- ... 6rk%3D1%26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Velton

Re: this needs rescuing

Unread post by Velton » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:00 am

Agreed! :shock:
That is mildly ugly as so-called "street fighters" go, I.e. hideous by normal criteria!

I am not an advocate of "bog-standard bikes at all costs" but why take something as beautiful and functional as a genuine Jota and reduce it to an agricultural eye-sore?

Just to be "different" maybe? :roll:

What frame butchery was involved in fitting that VFR rear end?
Just being old doesn't make it a "Classic."

Aaaah! Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

scotduke

Unread post by scotduke » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:18 am

Yep, it just doesn't look right does it? The end can is another eyesore. The bike looks less than the sum of its parts in fact. Some streetfighters can look ok but this one is plain nasty, particularly since 1977 Jotas (if the motor and frame really are from one) do look great (bit of a handful to ride tho and a Le Mans I from the same era is so much easier to live with and not a lot slower) and are worth so much.

spitfiregoggles

Unread post by spitfiregoggles » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:33 pm

There does seem to be a rather strong element of "I did this because I can" in the mods that are carried out on a lot of these customs/streetfighters/whatever.
Mags like BSH and 100%Biker feature quite a few classic bikes that have been modded in all sorts of ways, some with more success than others.
This particular machine looks pretty mild compared to some; on one hand it could perhaps be returned to standard, on the other I suppose it doesn't look all that "special" in the way a Jota does......nor is it really all that different-looking as a custom. I wonder what it handles like?