Batavus HS50

The home for Autocycles, Cyclemotors amd Mopeds.
sfb

Batavus HS50

Unread post by sfb » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:22 pm

As bought:

Codger

Re: Batavus HS50

Unread post by Codger » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:32 pm

I can see the "start assist" engine , but when are you going to fit the proper engine in that big gap?

sfb

Unread post by sfb » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:34 pm

Last week, I found that the flywheel cover from the Ariel 3 would fit straight on to Bertie but I still need a cover the same size for the clutch.

When I bought Bertie, the seller had demonstrated that he would start and run but we haven't been able to keep him running for any length of time so today, I decided to investigate the little Encarwi carburettor. The air filter is just held in place with a clip so that was easy to remove. The inside of the carb was fairly cruddy so this might have contributed to the poor running.........

Luckily, the Boss had bought some new saucepans so I was able to make good use of one of the old ones - great for cleaning things in petrol!

Things were starting to look a bit cleaner now.....

...but still room for improvement so the carb bits are currently soaking in Coca Cola (other, cheaper brands will work just as well!!)

Codger

Unread post by Codger » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:37 pm

hazel , nice one , agree with the coke trick , however go to aldi and buy 4 x 500ml of vinegar @ 27p each , lot stronger ,,and don,t rot your teeth!

sfb

Unread post by sfb » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:40 pm

Codger wrote:I can see the "start assist" engine , but when are you going to fit the proper engine in that big gap?

That's proper, that is!

Codger

Unread post by Codger » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:44 pm

gordon bennet , just spotted the duel seat!

gus will enjoy being picked up from the pub on a sunday teatime!!

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:20 am

Codger wrote:hazel , nice one , agree with the coke trick , however go to aldi and buy 4 x 500ml of vinegar @ 27p each

We just happen to have quite a lot of Coke at the moment - Te$co had a deal on where if you bought a shitload of it you got 5p off every litre of petrol.
I'm taking most of it to work and Rhys drinks some, but there's always a can spare for de-rusting shit - even Ariel 3 carbs !

Vinegar also works well as a fabric conditioner btw - and it doesn't make your clothes smell nasty and chemically - unlike sodding C*mfort.

sfb

Unread post by sfb » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:12 pm

Fun and games removing the seat today. All the fixings were pretty rusty and some were clearly past salvaging:

I spent a while trying to work out how to get the seat off but it took Gus to realise that it actually tips up once the rear bolts are removed/sheared off! Anyway, I will be trying to salvage the seat cover but I'll also be sending the pictures below off to R K Leighton for an estimate:

I think I can probably make it usable, albeit probably still looking as if it has "seen some action"!

I need to look for some of the silver-coloured trim as it is missing from one side of the seat - anyone got any ideas? It fits on using tiny nuts and bolts with the bolt heads sliding into the back of the piece of trim. I'm sure other mopeds must have had similar so first place to look is probably e-bay.

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:53 am

Worktop seals? that stuff that goes between the panels in a kitchen, slice that to fit & glue it on?
Classics ain't built in Metric

Codger

Unread post by Codger » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:24 pm

hazel i chucked a pair of wheels on ebay last night , ft one has already been grabbed , is the rear one any use to you? , looks to be in better contition than yours?