Help For Heroes 'Norton' Lives Again !

The home for Autocycles, Cyclemotors amd Mopeds.
The Mighty Gusset

Help For Heroes 'Norton' Lives Again !

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:28 pm

Bollocks !
I was writing a long preamble about the dead 'Norton' and how it came to be in our conservatory, but it's not very interesting.
Briefly, It's not a Norton at all - It's a Chinese 'Skywing' but it's got Norton badges on it, and was bought by a bloke 'Over There' to do the John O'Groats - Lands End run in aid of Help For Heroes.
It died, and became an inmate of Hazel's Home For Distressed Mopeds.
Anyway, last weekend Hazel acquired a cheap defunct Honda Camino and this weekend we amalgamated the two.
And tonight she ran !
Hazel will doubtless be along with photo and film evidence in due course.
Compatibility issues with the wiring and various other bits means that the only Camino parts used so far are the barrel, head and pistony gubbins.
But it sounds and runs Ok.
All ready for next years Moped Challenge !

jimmy

Re: Help For Heroes 'Norton' Lives Again !

Unread post by jimmy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:57 pm

Well done mate. I followed the story over there and saw the dying beast in person, so once again well done

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:08 pm

It would have been done and complete yesterday, I had the back end and engine grafted onto the Skywing, but the wiring on the Camino engine wasn't compatible with the Chinese harness, and I couldn't find any sparks. In the end I stripped the Camino engine and just used the bits from that.
However, there's no footpegs and I can't use the Camino pedals because the Chinese kickstart mechanism is in the way.
The Skyway is quite clearly a copy of a Camino, but there are quite a few detail changes, so simply pinching bits off one to fix the other wasn't as straightforward as I'd hoped.

supersix

Unread post by supersix » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:12 pm

Not just Hooli that grows plants through bikes then! :lol:

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:29 pm

supersix wrote:Not just Hooli that grows plants through bikes then! :lol:

Environmentally friendly bikes are where it's at ;)
Classics ain't built in Metric

Welsh Wizard

Unread post by Welsh Wizard » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:55 pm

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:36 pm

Hmmmm, well I suppose the HFH 'Norton' counts as being 'hand made' and 'bespoke' !
If the Government wants to give me some money I'll gladly post it anywhere in the world.

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:15 pm

Today I thought I'd make a start at transferring the pedals and associated gubbins from the Camino.
This very quickly ground to a halt as I can't figure out how to get the sprocket off the rear wheel !
I'm uncertain as to whether it's held on with a left hand thread or whether it's just ridiculously tight, or whether I'm missing something and it's removed in a completely different way.
Anyone got any ideas ?

Incidentally, the freewheel mechanism appears to be of German manufacture - What's that all about ?

Codger

Unread post by Codger » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:43 pm

when it comes to puch maxi free wheel bits I go to the local push bike shop , they can remove (have tools) and usually find a good second hand one ,,

ps , the guy that invented the free wheel whatnot , made his millions from it , then opened up royal enfield