Decisions

Talk about buildings, layouts, equipment etc.
hondapartsman

Decisions

Unread post by hondapartsman » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:45 pm

As I may have mentioned elsewhere we recently moved, a matter of 11 miles from where we were which means that my garage is now 11 miles from our new home and not only that but has also become storage for fridge, freezer, washing machine and some other junk as well as the two current non movers and all my parts and tools. I was proposing to get myself a shed for over here, I have the landlords permission to put up something like an 8 x 6 which would not be for storage of bikes really more for parts and working on the bikes under cover. As part of the property here is a largish barn, big enough for about 3 cars, currently used for storage by the landlord but he has said that in a few months he may well be moving just about everything out of there and then for a bit extra money we might be able to use those as well. No doubt my wife will want her car in part of them but obviously there'll still be lots more room than my single garage all those miles away, and would be very near and handy and very private as the place has a lovely big courtyard and a six foot tall wall around most of it.
I'm trying to decide though, finding the money for a shed is going to be hard, although my Mum has offered to buy me one for my birthday (good old Mum). I guess the sensible thing to do is to wait and see what happens. The only advantage the old garage had to working on the bike in the open was it kept me dry, as it has an up and over door and in a block you can't really keep the wind out that much so it's still cold. That said it would be nice to have the shed to work in for the meantime but then the money that might go on that I could easily find another use for as I still haven't yet found the wherewithal to get my spare engine put together and all it really needs is a rebore and a new cam-chain along with some odds and sods.
Anyway although I have more or less made my mind up to wait for now, as I can keep my old garage on more or less as long as I need too, and have paid for the next two months anyway, I'd be interested to hear what others think. Lucky bugger to eve have the chance of a place as big as the barns to use, no doubt.
My flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/63994217@N08/
I'm like my regular ride, old battered and bit leaky, but still going.
http://notabikeramotorcyclist.weebly.com/

sfb

Re: Decisions

Unread post by sfb » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:03 pm

I'd check local ads and Bargain pages, sometimes people give sheds away to collector or sell them very cheaply. Isn't there also an internet group for free stuff too? You might pick one up for next to nothing and then be able to pass it on later. You might need a mate with a trailer though.

Webby

Unread post by Webby » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:27 pm

Get a shed anyway,
The barn might be a bit cold in winter, were as the shed is a nice dry cosy place to store your tools and do the odd engine rebuild, so it will always come in handy.

Webby

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:30 pm

Want Barn!
Classics ain't built in Metric

hondapartsman

Unread post by hondapartsman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:03 pm

sfb wrote:I'd check local ads and Bargain pages, sometimes people give sheds away to collector or sell them very cheaply. Isn't there also an internet group for free stuff too? You might pick one up for next to nothing and then be able to pass it on later. You might need a mate with a trailer though.

Well I don't have a mate with a trailer but I have a brother in law with one so might be worth a try. Thanks for the idea.
My flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/63994217@N08/
I'm like my regular ride, old battered and bit leaky, but still going.
http://notabikeramotorcyclist.weebly.com/

hondapartsman

Unread post by hondapartsman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:25 pm

Webby wrote:Get a shed anyway,
The barn might be a bit cold in winter, were as the shed is a nice dry cosy place to store your tools and do the odd engine rebuild, so it will always come in handy.

Webby

I am tempted I must admit, although barn is what the owner calls them, more like an old coachhouse I'd say. I'm used to the cold from my old garage apart from anything else though I guess you can never have enough storage and even if we get the barns I can see the wife wanting to fill them with various boxes full of crap, just like the old garage still is.

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:49 pm

Make one of those wood burning stoves and burn the crap. Instant warm barn and space to work.

johnr

Unread post by johnr » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:00 am

Hooli wrote:Make one of those wood burning stoves and burn the crap. Instant warm barn and space to work.

google waste oil stove. great way of heating the shed using old engine oil as fuel!!

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:44 am

I was thinking of the ones I've seen built from old calor bottles over on brit chopper that seem to burn anything.

ClassicMcNut
Wise Font Of All Bantam Knowledge

Unread post by ClassicMcNut » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:58 pm

Hooli wrote:I was thinking of the ones I've seen built from old calor bottles over on brit chopper that seem to burn anything.

Yep Hooli ........ called a "Controlled bonfire". Cut the top off, drill some holes in the bottom and stuff any old rubbish in it
:lol:
Do unto others before they do unto you. A wise man learns by other's mistakes a fool by his own