Screed shed floor

Talk about buildings, layouts, equipment etc.
pooh

Screed shed floor

Unread post by pooh » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:51 pm

I'm about to lay a decent shed floor ontop of an existing concrete mess, The screed will be about 1 1/2" thick ....what Mix of sand/cement and should I use sharp sand or ballast. It will be painted.
Airhead by choice

DAM

Re: Screed shed floor

Unread post by DAM » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:09 pm

4 parts sand (or flooring grit) to 1 part cement

johnr

Unread post by johnr » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:41 am

tbh id be temted to order readymix or barrow mix. you will then get enough to do the job, not have to mix it youreself and it will be at the right consistency, and when you price up the materials, the hire of a mixer, and the time it will take you, then it will probably not be much more expensive anyway. when ive had to do this in the past, getting the consistency right and getting every mix identical was always the problem.

Crankcase

Unread post by Crankcase » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:15 pm

johnr wrote:tbh id be temted to order readymix or barrow mix. you will then get enough to do the job, not have to mix it youreself and it will be at the right consistency, and when you price up the materials, the hire of a mixer, and the time it will take you, then it will probably not be much more expensive anyway. when ive had to do this in the past, getting the consistency right and getting every mix identical was always the problem.

Surely not readymix/Barrowmix for screeding a shed floor 1.5 inches deep . far cheaper a ton bag + cement and a borrowed mixer. as for the mix, Dam's is good if your up north though I would go for a limstone aggregate at 6 to 1. tamped with a nice trowelled finish .

Cheers crankcase
A bike on the road is worth two in the garage.

johnr

Unread post by johnr » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:59 pm

depends how big the shed is. mines 28 foot by 12, id certainly not want to mix that lot myself by hand!!

pooh

Unread post by pooh » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:32 pm

12' X 17' x 2'.......Not sure if its big enough for a readymix load.....but it would give a better consistancy which is something I hadn't thought of.
Airhead by choice

DAVE M2

Unread post by DAVE M2 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:08 pm

i don't know the term, but as an alternative to readymix, there are some companies who are basically a lorry, two big blokes and a sh*t load of materials. The mix it up at the site and I assume it's a bit cheaper or for access problems?

Crankcase

Unread post by Crankcase » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:07 pm

pooh wrote:12' X 17' x 2'.......Not sure if its big enough for a readymix load.....but it would give a better consistancy which is something I hadn't thought of.

At 1.5" deep that works out roughly at .7 of a cube(metre) . Should take about 1.5 hours to mix that quantity on your own however screeding/tamping is a two man job, so start to finish with two men around half a days easy work .
If consistency is a problem gauge your materials using a bucket it's not something a builder would do for concrete but it will help if you aint used to mixing .

You are probally better increasing the depth to 2" making sure the existing surface is clean and you have a good key to bond the two layers. use limestone aggregate if you can,don't mix it over wet so you can give it a quick trowel finish as you work out, this leaves a pretty good surface for painting over .
A bike on the road is worth two in the garage.