Mains Electrowizardy Questions

Talk about buildings, layouts, equipment etc.
supersix

Re: Mains Electrowizardy Questions

Unread post by supersix » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:58 pm

Grey area I reckon because you are adding to existing circuits. If you aint sure though leave well alone, cos leccy can deadify you!. (BTW 32A for ring, 6A for lighting, and if you have spare ways in your board it'll be easy for a sparky to sort.)

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:00 pm

I'm happy to do it, I've played with enough wires before. I'll have to get a 32Amp MCB then, thought I might have too. Now I just need to find who sells them :lol:

I'm not paying a sparky for a simple job, in the same way I wouldn't pay a garage to change my bike's oil. I resent wasting money on something I can do myself to the same or better standard. I say better because our garage I wired up & made work was done by a 'professional' handyman before I moved in & the electrics just blew the breakers if you tried to use it. It's worked perfectly since I rewired it in 10mins so the light switch doesn't just short the supply!
Classics ain't built in Metric

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:23 pm

As far as I know the regs only require you to be 'competent' to install the new ring, but you do need to be properly certified to do the final hookup to the fusebox and sign it off.

Lets face it, if the house wiring was done donkey's years ago, who's actually going to know when your additions were done, and by whom ?

It's your funeral mate !

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 pm

The Mighty Gusset wrote:Lets face it, if the house wiring was done donkey's years ago, who's actually going to know when your additions were done, and by whom ?

I believe they changed the colour of the wires sold at the same time, lucky we've got a big roll of the old proper colours around.
Classics ain't built in Metric

supersix

Unread post by supersix » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:17 pm

Donny is on my regular route if you get stuck Hooli!. Better than frying yerself!

Greenbat

Unread post by Greenbat » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:38 pm

Dads good with this, he rewired 2 houses. Might borrow him when my shed gets rebuilt. As mentioned before, legally you must notify building control for any work other than direct replacement. I believe it would be possible to do it yourself then have it inspected/hooked up by a professional. I found a top bloke from Poland when I got my wiring inspected (covering my arse cos I've got a lodger).

DAM

Unread post by DAM » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:51 am

Testing procedure.
http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/ins ... dures.html

I have just used my crystal ball to assess Hooli's electrical skills :lol:
Attachments
Hooli.png

Rick Parkington

Unread post by Rick Parkington » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:49 pm

Funny how the old colour wire became hard to get around the time the regulations affecting DIY changed, just like the legislation affecting purchase of number plates became much tighter just before all the numberplate recognition stuff really kicked in. Seal all exits before releasing the ferrets...
R

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:57 pm

You ought to see the new colours for three-phase !

Old Colours : Phases - Red, Yellow, Blue. Neutral - Black
New Colours : Phases - Black (See where we're going here ?), Brown, Grey. Neutral - Blue (Kablammo !)

supersix

Unread post by supersix » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:17 pm

Many Krautish 3 phase machines, 3xblacks as phases ,blue neutral and green/yellow as earth. Loads of bollix! Our colours were spot on, both single and 3 phase. Trust Europe to fix summat that wasn't broke! :twisted: