Mains Electrowizardy Questions

Talk about buildings, layouts, equipment etc.
Hooli

Mains Electrowizardy Questions

Unread post by Hooli » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:06 pm

Can you lot tell me which size circuit breakers are normally used on what ring mains in a house? From looking at our fusebox it appears that the sockets are on 32Amp MCBs & the lights are on a 6amp MCB. I'll assume that's correct?
I'm about to start fitting decent lights & a load of sockets in the cellar as a workshop. We've got four spare slots in the fusebox & three spare MCBs, one 6amp and two 16Amps. I'm going to use the 6Amp for the lights, but will a 16Amp be enough to run half a dozen double sockets? I'm suspecting I'll have to buy a 32Amp MCB? We will probably end up running a bench grinder, power drills & that sort of thing down there to help work out the load.

Also as I'll be doing these from scratch, what is the correct way to ring main it all? do I just put all the sockets in parallel like spurs & then join the last one back to the start? So I'd probably have a circuit that went from the MCB to a junction box, around all the sockets & back to the junction box?
The lights are just two strip lights off one double switch so I'll just run a single feed to them. I'll probably add more lights later, should they be done as spurs or as a proper ring?

I've done odd bits like sorting the wiring in our shed before but I've never started from scratch so it'd be nice to do it properly.
Classics ain't built in Metric

Codger

Re: Mains Electrowizardy Questions

Unread post by Codger » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:12 pm

sorry been out of this game too long , so can,t comment on fuse sizes

ring main:

run a wire from the box to the cellers first socket , then a wire from there to the next etc etc , then run a wire from the last socket back to the box

Tman

Unread post by Tman » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:31 pm

All due respect, but if you have to ask these questions, you ain't legally qualified to do it.

A fire in the cellar means you house burns down, then the insurance company look into the cause (wiring alterations) then you're in the poop...
I could agree with you, but then I won't get the abusive foul-mouth PM sent to my home PC...

mervin

Unread post by mervin » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:50 pm

I am sure DAM will advise the best way of going about it and the knows the ins and outs of the latest laws concerning sparkery, I am just off to find a qualified dairyman to add the milk to my tea!!! see ya later
classic japbikefest 2 http://www.vjmc.com/japbikefest/

DAM

Unread post by DAM » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:10 pm

You cant do it yourself with the current regs Hooli.

Unless you want to contact building control in advance, who will charge you to arrange for an inspection after you have laid the cables in place and they are still visible, followed by them coming back again to test and energise the new circuits at a later date.

It's probably cheaper to get an electrician in to do the work who can certify it.

Also depending on how long ago your property was wired you may find the job escalates.

If you lived a bit closer, i could have done the work for you.

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:06 pm

I've got old colour wires, so it was done years ago ;)

As for the helpful 'if you need to ask you shouldn't do it' comments, bugger off & get the garage to check your oil level & tyre pressures as I'll assume your not professional at that? It's not something I can't do, I'm just not sure on the exact details, your comment is like saying if you need to check the manual you shouldn't fix your own bike.

I was under the impression I could do it & then get it inspected under the new rules anyway? the wires will all be exposed as we're not putting a celling up in there, so just running the cables along the rafters.

Tman

Unread post by Tman » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:14 pm

It's not something I can't do, I'm just not sure on the exact details, your comment is like saying if you need to check the manual you shouldn't fix your own bike.

It's nothing like it. You don't look into the Honda manual to find out how an engine works, and if you need to actually ask how a ring main is wired, then you shouldn't be doing it.
{Not that I mind what you do, it's your property after all}
Not trying to funny, just realistic, as wiring now has legal implications.
I could agree with you, but then I won't get the abusive foul-mouth PM sent to my home PC...

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:18 pm

Tman wrote: You don't look into the Honda manual to find out how an engine works

A lot of people do actually. But then owning hondas it's about 15 years between breakdowns for them to forget :lol:

DAVE M2

Unread post by DAVE M2 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:25 pm

If you can find a sparky who'll test before connection, that's the way that I'd go.

I think that Maplins used to do a book for amateur house wiring - maybe they're not selling it now because of the regs. But get the cable right, check continuity and you should be fine. Just get the sparky to bung his meter on it and connect.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/electric-wiring-domestic-61

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:16 pm

I can do spurs n such, we've got the right wire. I've just not actually done a whole ring so wanted to confirm where the ring went from/to. Plus I figured with a lot less sockets than a whole house that a smaller MCB might be ok.