garage help needed

Talk about buildings, layouts, equipment etc.
chugsdad

garage help needed

Unread post by chugsdad » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:30 pm

Hi I need some advice re my motorbike toy box (Concrete sectional garage) Its a newish sectional one with up n over door that is now semi permanently bolted shut for security. I use a side door for bike entry. I need to make it watertight at bottom then more insulated to make dry and warmer ideas? There will still be ventilation as ever between the walls ans roof but its the big windy wet draft around the door that chills me. I do have an electric oil heater but been a Yorkshire man I'm too tight to use it, its not that effective anyway.
It has a small water damp patch coming under the door when the rain comes in a certain way . Need it dry so I can arrange work benches and have dry storage / workshop. Also need to use it as an office area when working on laptop at home (house too noisy with baby and 3yo). Have electricity supply.
I was considering having it bricked up, but need to make it not totally permanent in case we move home.

Anyone have idea on making the big up and over door area dry and insulated?

Many thanks and happy "ignoring the Olympics year"

Welsh Wizard

Re: garage help needed

Unread post by Welsh Wizard » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:51 pm

first you need a canopy over the door, then a cheapskate way of stopping the draft under the door, get some old inner tube from a tyre shop say for a scrapped one from a tractor or lorry, cut a strip that will tac to the bottom edge of the door and hang down till it touches the floor this will help prevent wind blowing rain under the door, as for the eves stuff with old newspaper, but leave an area that vent other wise you might just go to sleep on a perm basis if you are in there with the parafin heater running and doing adjustments to the engine while its running

Willpower

Unread post by Willpower » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:23 pm

To help stop the draft from under my garage door (up'n'over) I bought a piece of wood (2x1) the full opening width and painted it all sides with bitumen, then drilled and screwed it to the floor on the inside. Didn't stop all the draft, but certainly stopped water ingress. This was 8 years ago and wood is still in good nick.

DAVE M2

Unread post by DAVE M2 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:06 pm

I had a new door fitted and the guy recommended looking on Ebay for a rubber strip that you fix to the bottom of the door.

Mine is ok (less than a tenner) but leaks a little at one point so I need to look to see what the problem is. I thought that I might fit a 'speedbump" profile of alli to the floor so it's easy to wheel the bike over, but stops water.

I also fitted extra wood to the sides of the frame, then foam strip.
I insulated the door with 1" polystyrene and topped it with foil type insulation

DAVE M2

Unread post by DAVE M2 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:29 pm

I had a new door fitted and the guy recommended looking on Ebay for a rubber strip that you fix to the bottom of the door.

Mine is ok (less than a tenner) but leaks a little at one point so I need to look to see what the problem is. I thought that I might fit a 'speedbump" profile of alli to the floor so it's easy to wheel the bike over, but stops water.

I also fitted extra wood to the sides of the frame, then foam strip.
I insulated the door with 1" polystyrene and topped it with foil type insulation

catceefer

Unread post by catceefer » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:05 pm

I have a 1950's concrete pre-fab garage with wooden doors. The doors fit where they touch, so I also screwed a length of timber to the ground just inside the door. This stopped the water and much of the draught. I also put a layer of thin polystyrene on the floor and then laid a plywood floor over the concrete. It made a huge improvement to the general warmth and seems to have alleviated much of the condensatation.

Regards,

James.
James Alford
Copper Water Features and Garden Ornaments
www.craftedcopper.co.uk

DAM

Unread post by DAM » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:22 am

I had a sectional garage like that, I made it watertight by by demolishing it and building this -