Shed top tips

Talk about buildings, layouts, equipment etc.
Greenbat

Shed top tips

Unread post by Greenbat » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:07 am

Having built my palace of shed dreams, I've started organising it. I thought a thread on top tips would be useful, please contribute. Maybe Pippa* Middleton will write a book on royal shedology, who knows? Here's mine:

Insulation-whatever building you have, insulation will keep damp away and make it much more pleasant to work in in winter. A cheap option I used is white polystyrene sheet, which wickes sell at a few quid a sheet. However, it is used as packing-mine came from work's skip, with a scrap note. You'll want to line the walls to cover it, if you use plasterboard mix some cheap emulsion with some PVA glue and paint it with that.

Benches-DIY stores occaisonally get rid of kitchen worktops, either ex display, damaged or end of line. They are pretty tough, wipe clean and standard sizes for when it needs replacing

Hoover-buy an old one from a charity shop for the shed, often easier than sweeping. Handy for dust extraction too.

Bin-get a proper bin, hanging a carrier bag up will lead to it splitting/falling off and getting crap everywhere again

*My girlfriend (Greek) told me that Pippa means blow job in Greek

Hooli

Re: Shed top tips

Unread post by Hooli » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:04 pm

Always fit trice as many sockets as you think you'll need, that way you won't run out as often.
Classics ain't built in Metric

Zunspec

Unread post by Zunspec » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:56 pm

Plenty of light. Double row fluorescents (more than one so you do not create areas of shadow) for overall illumination and a roving spot light for those little corners.

An efficient electric heater, for when the insulation is not enough.

Cheers Geoff

oh, a decent radio. A cheapo DAB is my choice so I can listen to TMS and all the old comedy shows on Radio 4 Extra.

spitfiregoggles

Unread post by spitfiregoggles » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:13 pm

Just a thought regarding fluorescent tubes.....I seem to remember being told during electrical installation classes at college that standard practice where flourescent lighting was used and rotating machinery (lathes, drilling machines, etc.) were present was to run the different rows of lights off different phases so as to avoid stroboscopic effect giving the illusion that a machine/workpiece was not rotating when in fact it was and leading to accidents.
I'm pretty out of touch with modern developments but seem to remember modern flu' fittings being electronic and thus (presumably) not having the "flicker" associated with older fittings....am I right about this?
I realise of course that most sheds will only have a single-phase supply and thus no choice in the matter.....

DAM

Unread post by DAM » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:34 pm

The modern high frequency fittings avoid the stroboscopic effect, i have fitted five of them in my garage workshop.

I have just aquired another five 4ft double High frequency emergency light fittings today, they are going in a large storage building I can have for free if I sort out and maintain the electrics in their stables. :D

jimmy

Unread post by jimmy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:35 am

Do NOT allow the wife, kids or dogs anywhere near it as they will take over and before you know it they will be asking you to move your bike out their way.....how do I know this

I have learned from this, and it is mainly clear of shit now, yea now that it will be getting converted into another bedroom. Still gives me a chance to design and build a purpose made shed down the back

DAM

Unread post by DAM » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:47 am

Mrs DAM has a small freezer and some gardening tools in my workshop, occasionally leaving a few bits of bike or machinery in the house stops her from wanting to put anything else out there :)

A carpet of steel chips on the floor around the milling machine helps too ;)

Greenbat

Unread post by Greenbat » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:25 am

Don't have wife and kids, live with another bike person as a lodger, and his dog 8-)

DAM

Unread post by DAM » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:16 am

Greenbat wrote:Don't have wife and kids
Yet :!:

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:35 pm

Greenbat wrote:Don't have wife and kids, live with another bike person as a lodger, and his dog 8-)
Good plan :) The other option is to live with a biking lady ;)
Classics ain't built in Metric