Shed top tips

Talk about buildings, layouts, equipment etc.
Greenbat

Re: Shed top tips

Unread post by Greenbat » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:08 pm

Lighting-I found a very nice set of halogen lights on sale, from £30 ish down to £8. They make great bench spotlights.

NeilD

Unread post by NeilD » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:36 pm

made a bench for mine out of the pallet used for delivering the insulation and ply sheeting and the wood used as shuttering for the concrete base.. slightly higher than standard just the right height for leaning against supping tea and admiring the fleet... :D

Bench by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr

Greenbat

Unread post by Greenbat » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:31 am

Beware the peril of false economy! I've just done a classic example, started on my excelsior universal and thought I'd do it in my machine mart sandblaster. 3 days later, I have clean 4 strips of metal that are the headlamp brackets, most of the rim and some of the headlamp shell. Everything is covered in black scale, which small kit won't budge. Also, the constant running of the compressor has made me deaf, pissed off the neighbours and gobbled electricity. Tomorrow I'll go to a local firm for a quote! i reckon that lot alone will offset the cost of sending it out.
In particular, can you do overtime at work? If so, might it be better all round to send some jobs out and do your job a bit more. Not that I advocate chequebook restorations of course, but even for the most poverty stricken this is something to consider.

johnr

Unread post by johnr » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:11 am

led lighting is going to be the next big thing. power consumption on a level that makes flourescents seem stupidly expensive. no lack of brightness when you first turn them on ike a flourescent, very little heat production, and lamps with lifespans that are counted in the tens of thousands of hours. ive a few 5 foot led tube lamps that i will be fitting in the shed, they also dont need chokes/ballasts etc, they just run straight 240v like any normal bulb.

sfb

Unread post by sfb » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:26 am

Greenbat wrote:Beware the peril of false economy! I've just done a classic example, started on my excelsior universal and thought I'd do it in my machine mart sandblaster. 3 days later, I have clean 4 strips of metal that are the headlamp brackets, most of the rim and some of the headlamp shell. Everything is covered in black scale, which small kit won't budge. Also, the constant running of the compressor has made me deaf, pissed off the neighbours and gobbled electricity. Tomorrow I'll go to a local firm for a quote! i reckon that lot alone will offset the cost of sending it out.
In particular, can you do overtime at work? If so, might it be better all round to send some jobs out and do your job a bit more. Not that I advocate chequebook restorations of course, but even for the most poverty stricken this is something to consider.
Always worth weighing up overtime v farming out work. I don't think that necessarily means "cheque book restoration" - it's more like getting back to the idea of bartering. Everyone has different skills - if you can spend a couple of hours earning enough to pay an expert to do a job that might take you a couple of days, where's the shame in that ? That expert probably pays others to do work that he/she isn't skilled in. I think there are many people who would love to learn to do everything themselves but it isn't always realistic or cost effective.

SMIFFY R

Unread post by SMIFFY R » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:46 pm

Good point the 'bartering' idea,when I used to tinker with bikes and cars a while ago elektrikery was my failure,just could'nt get the hang of it!Then I found a bloke who was a wizard,result?..I used to service his and his wife's car(mechanical stuff)in exchange...cost? few packets of biccies and mugs of tea! :)
Go to Heaven for the climate....Hell for the company

Hooli

Unread post by Hooli » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:44 pm

johnr wrote:led lighting is going to be the next big thing. power consumption on a level that makes flourescents seem stupidly expensive. no lack of brightness when you first turn them on ike a flourescent, very little heat production, and lamps with lifespans that are counted in the tens of thousands of hours. ive a few 5 foot led tube lamps that i will be fitting in the shed, they also dont need chokes/ballasts etc, they just run straight 240v like any normal bulb.

I didn't realise those were out, I'd been expecting to see them for a while. Sounds a good plan.
Classics ain't built in Metric

spitfiregoggles

Unread post by spitfiregoggles » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:50 pm

DAM wrote:The modern high frequency fittings avoid the stroboscopic effect, i have fitted five of them in my garage workshop.
Thanks for that DAM, thought I remembered it and nice to know I haven't totally lost the plot!

johnr

Unread post by johnr » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:52 pm

the individual lamps to replace ordinary bulbs are a couple of quid each but the tubes are stupidly expensive at the moment.

Greenbat

Unread post by Greenbat » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:39 am

Ever get really involved in something, then realise you're starving and can't be arsed to cook? Supermarket Naan breads go nicely with a cup of tea, are cheap and probably even healthy. Note the time of posting! 8-)