What did you do Today

Talk about anything that doesn't relate to other sections here. Play nicely :)

Zunspec

Re: What did you do Today

Unread post by Zunspec » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:51 pm

jimmy wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:17 pm
Hi Geoff
I hope retirement is being good to you
Hi jimmy,

I'm bearing up under the strain :D. Blown the pension lump sum on "Cigarettes 'an Whisky and Wild Wild Women" (and bikes), but who gives a flying wossaname :lol:.

Cheers Geoff

jimmy

Unread post by jimmy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:20 am

Wow, canny wait til I retire. No cigarettes tho so all the more for the Whisky and wild wild women

jimmy

Unread post by jimmy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:41 pm

Last few days, I had a few shakedown runs on the 5Ta, hopefully got it sorted. I went 20 miles on it today with no worries.

Couple of minor issues tho, One fork leg is leaking and yesterday I had it out and on my return it would no start again with no spark. It has Hoolis favourite Boyer fitted. Anyway I went out today and it fired up, took iot a run and tried to replicate yesterdays issues, without success. The bike started first kick every time

I also fitted a set of clip ons (cos I can't afford a Triton) but I must be too old for that riding style cos it was certainly uncomfortable. I'll try a set of "Ace" bars I have lying around then work my way up til I reach a comfy position

jimmy

Unread post by jimmy » Sun May 13, 2018 2:08 pm

Well a shit update to report.

Not happy with the clip ons I replaced them with a set of 'western' style bars, but as they are a bit higher I had to pull on the handlebar switch wires for clearance. I also fitted a new throttle twistgrip I had lying around. Anyway when I went fire it up I noticed the ammeter immediately drop to the left. I switched the ignition off and on again, and the same result with the ammeter needle.....then I noticed the smell of burning. Luckily I had the seat off so I then saw the -ve wire from the battery was melting (+ve earth). The fuse on the earth side did not blow, but melted....

The corresponding wire at the ammeter also melted.............

So I have to build a new loom. The bike is non standard with a 12v conversion, Electronic Ignition, removal of distributor and a few other leccy mods, so an off the shelf harness is no use

Bugger, said someone somewhere, some time ago