What did you do Today

Talk about anything that doesn't relate to other sections here. Play nicely :)

sfb

Re: What did you do Today

Unread post by sfb » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:05 am

Are you building a house for Honda Superdreams? Or am I getting confused?

NeilD

Unread post by NeilD » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:22 pm

aaaaaargh. these firkin Guzzi wheels will be the death of me! first off I got them powdercoated - very nice job but the gold looked wrong against the gold of the bike... despite trying to convince myself that they'd be 'alright' I decided they wouldnt so took them off to be painted body colour with polished edges, as per the original plan.. t'was a real bugger to get the powdercoat off apparently, but that got sorted.. but now painter/polisher has just phonned to say the edge of the rims are too pitted to do a decent polish on them :x aaargh! I shouldve just given them a sposh of something from Halfords... :roll:

so today, I have mostly been getting annoyed with my wheels! :)

Luckydave

Unread post by Luckydave » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:15 pm

Get a few thou skimmed off on a lathe?My ex place of employment had a DSG lathe with swing big enough to take a wheel and tyre,miss being able to do little jobs like that and now I'm facing redundancy from present employment :(

Captain Custard

Unread post by Captain Custard » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:20 pm

a dsg lathe is made like a swiss watch. the engineering standards in them are lovely. just bin out with my lad, his test is coming up tuesday week.

Greenbat

Unread post by Greenbat » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:46 pm

Captain Custard wrote:a dsg lathe is made like a swiss watch. the engineering standards in them are lovely. just bin out with my lad, his test is coming up tuesday week.
I agree. Had a 3 month placement on a cell with two old DSG centre lathes. We have a lot of DSG CNC stuff too, all the size of a large van at least!

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:09 pm

NeilD wrote:Today - I have mostly been getting annoyed with my wheels! :)
I liked them with the new powdercoating on - I'd have left them like that.

Today I have mostly been buying MEAT !

Greenbat

Unread post by Greenbat » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:14 pm

Today I went up to Crich tramway on the bantam to do some machining for them. It is nice to do some proper manual stuff occasionally. Also helped built a huge bonfire. Might go up tomorrow to change the coolant on the lathe, it is minging. See what has evolved in it this time...
True to form, when I stopped on the way up to get a pie from the butchers someone stopped to look at the bantam. A ride out on it isn't complete with someone saying "I had one", "I've got an old ... bike" or "I remember them".

stogadog

Unread post by stogadog » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:30 pm

sfb wrote:Are you building a house for Honda Superdreams? Or am I getting confused?
I'm building a house for my superdream between my sheds. If anyone has got any superdreams that are homeless maybe they can come and live there too - knid of a superdream orphanage!

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:32 pm

Greenbat wrote: A ride out on it isn't complete with someone saying "I had one",..... or "I remember them".
the worst bike I ever had for that was a 1973 Cossack + Sidecar.
Misty eyed old gents used to come up and tell me how they'd "rode one during the war"

Then they'd get all upset when I asked :
"Really ? Was that in the Wehrmacht or the Red Army ?"

Then there were those who would insist that it must have been re-registered as it couldn't possibly be a 1973 bike.

I took it to the Isle of Man for the 75th Anniversary TT in 1982, and used to take great delight in parking it up next to a beautiful 1950's white Beemer with an immaculate Steib sidecar.
Guess which one was surrounded by admirers when I went back to it ?
On a couple of occasions the BMW owner was there, and on one occasion he was dragging his bike backwards out of it's parking space.
I started mine up, knocked it into reverse and backed out !
He was a really nice guy - but me and my ever present Russian Sh*t Heap (No, really, it was a DOG) must have pissed him off at least a bit.

NeilD

Unread post by NeilD » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:31 pm

The Mighty Gusset wrote:I liked them with the new powdercoating on - I'd have left them like that.
nah what I really should've done was keep the V7... :roll: