Feckin' Olympics!

Talk about anything that doesn't relate to other sections here. Play nicely :)

The Mighty Gusset

Re: Feckin' Olympics!

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:13 pm

One for Scotduke :
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/spo ... 2080937749" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

scotduke

Unread post by scotduke » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:25 am

Cheers Gus - that lid wouldn't be race legal tho as you wear an MX helmet as well as long sleeves and wrist protection. My wrist's healing up after my spill so we'll be ok to race in the Nationals - no fool like an old fool

jimmy

Unread post by jimmy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:56 pm

Scotty
I watched the BMX racing coverage on BBC, Olympics going great btw, and it looks bluddy dangerous mate. As you say frau scotduke aint happy about your boy on the motorbike, I take it she doesnt watch him race the bmx then

Tman

Unread post by Tman » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:17 am

Now it's all finished it turned out to be both successful and enjoyable in many ways. :D :D
So to all the predictors (and potential enjoyers) of unremitting chaos, whingers, whiners, professional Northerners, amateur cynics and general pub bores, hard luck, you were wrong. :P

Cue " yebbut I saw a traffic jam in E20 on Tuesday afternoon" and other similar types of petty comments.

Best stick to the merits of Aberdeen vs Middlesbrough threads....
I could agree with you, but then I won't get the abusive foul-mouth PM sent to my home PC...

jessplop
Location: Lancs. & India & 38,000 ft over the middle east on Air Smirnoff flight 000

Unread post by jessplop » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:19 am

It's all over! I missed an entire elimpicks! Huzzah! :lol:

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:21 pm

Don't worry Ploppy, you've got all that Legacy to enjoy !
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/soci ... 2081337991" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SMIFFY R

Unread post by SMIFFY R » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:33 pm

Tman wrote:Now it's all finished it turned out to be both successful and enjoyable in many ways. :D :D
So to all the predictors (and potential enjoyers) of unremitting chaos, whingers, whiners, professional Northerners, amateur cynics and general pub bores, hard luck, you were wrong. :P

Cue " yebbut I saw a traffic jam in E20 on Tuesday afternoon" and other similar types of petty comments.

Best stick to the merits of Aberdeen vs Middlesbrough threads....
Fuckin' well said!! :lol:
Go to Heaven for the climate....Hell for the company

jessplop
Location: Lancs. & India & 38,000 ft over the middle east on Air Smirnoff flight 000

Unread post by jessplop » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:30 am

The Mighty Gusset wrote:Don't worry Ploppy, you've got all that Legacy to enjoy !
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/soci ... 2081337991" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:) so glad I chose this life of adventure on the high seas and foreign shores :)

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:52 pm

While most of the athletes undoubtedly did themselves proud, the success of the Olympics can be measured differently elsewhere :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19292821" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Of course it's always possible that some of those traders were greedy tat-sellers out to make a quick killing, and deserve all they get, but at the end of the day those traders were sold the same idea as the rest of us; that the Olympics were going to be great for business and everyone would benefit.

spitfiregoggles

Unread post by spitfiregoggles » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:20 am

I was led to believe that work (at a railway station not too far from London) would be extremely busy throughout the Olympic period.................errrm, that'll be a no then!
I haven't seen the figures yet but just from the general "feel" of things I would say we were nowhere near as busy as I'd expect during a "normal" summer. A lot of our regular commuters had arranged either to take time off or work from home due to the expected chaos in London, and the families who usually go up on day trips were noticeably absent.
When Sue and I went up to Maidstone Hein Gericke the other sunday the roads were eerily quiet too; were all the sunday drivers at home watching TV?
I get the feeling that a few people in certain areas have made a lot of money out of this, while a lot of others have lost out.
A work colleague who went up to see some events enjoyed them and said everything went very smoothly; I wonder if the reason for the perceived "smoothness" isn't just plain over-engineering, using a sledge-hammer to crack a nut if you will.