Feckin' Olympics!

Talk about anything that doesn't relate to other sections here. Play nicely :)

jessplop
Location: Lancs. & India & 38,000 ft over the middle east on Air Smirnoff flight 000

Re: Feckin' Olympics!

Unread post by jessplop » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:55 am

I only saw the telly machine due to the fact that I was looking for some earplugses in the rec room, before heading off for a well earned kip, the Chinese folk seem to be unable to exist if there isn't a telly machine on at full volume...

scotduke

Unread post by scotduke » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:01 pm

jessplop wrote:I only saw the telly machine due to the fact that I was looking for some earplugses in the rec room, before heading off for a well earned kip, the Chinese folk seem to be unable to exist if there isn't a telly machine on at full volume...

I quite liked the opening ceremony - good selection of music and I liked the fact old Queenie got into the spirit of things and showed her sense of humour - also liked the fact that the ceremony showed you don't have to be a conservative and like Land of Hope and Bloody Boring Glory to be a patriot and proud to be British

Frau Scotduke were in town today as the kids were going to camp for a week and we dropped them off then sauntered over to the Tate Gallery for some art - couldn't believe how quiet it was around Victoria - heavy security around Westminster and we saw the tail end of the cycle race with a mob of motorcycle cops coming away

FastFrank

Unread post by FastFrank » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:52 pm

jessplop wrote:I only saw the telly machine due to the fact that I was looking for some earplugses in the rec room, before heading off for a well earned kip, the Chinese folk seem to be unable to exist if there isn't a telly machine on at full volume...
Maybe thats why so many of em have bad eyes :roll:
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen!

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:26 pm

I'm vaguely amused by the fuss about empty seats at some of the events.
Despite all the bollocks about this being the 'Peoples Olympics' it seems (surprise, surprise !) that the bulk of the seating, particularly the 'Good Seats' were reserved for the 'Olympic Family' (That's Corporate Liggers, Sponsors and IOC Officials and their friends and relations to you and me).
Needless to say, they're only actually interested in the 100m final and maybe one or two other final events, so simply haven't bothered to show up for the 'culling of the losers' elimination rounds.
Poor old Seb Coe, he's now got to try desperately to persuade those soldiers who get a bit of spare time in between their shifts providing the security that G4S are supposed to be doing, to stay and watch the boring events that nobody else wanted to watch, instead of trying to grab some time with their families.
Good Luck with that Seb !
I suppose if all else fails they could be ordered to watch, and cheer enthusiastically at the right moments.
It'd be just like Beijing !

scotduke

Unread post by scotduke » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:23 pm

The Mighty Gusset wrote:I'm vaguely amused by the fuss about empty seats at some of the events.
Despite all the bollocks about this being the 'Peoples Olympics' it seems (surprise, surprise !) that the bulk of the seating, particularly the 'Good Seats' were reserved for the 'Olympic Family' (That's Corporate Liggers, Sponsors and IOC Officials and their friends and relations to you and me).
Needless to say, they're only actually interested in the 100m final and maybe one or two other final events, so simply haven't bothered to show up for the 'culling of the losers' elimination rounds.
Poor old Seb Coe, he's now got to try desperately to persuade those soldiers who get a bit of spare time in between their shifts providing the security that G4S are supposed to be doing, to stay and watch the boring events that nobody else wanted to watch, instead of trying to grab some time with their families.
Good Luck with that Seb !
I suppose if all else fails they could be ordered to watch, and cheer enthusiastically at the right moments.
It'd be just like Beijing !

Yep, it is a big crap that there are so many empty seats, especially since so many people I know (us included) applied for tickets and then didn't get any. I reckon the familes of the squaddies having to provide security due to the last minute screw up, due to Securicor's incompetence, should get tickets free.

supersix

Unread post by supersix » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:17 am

Agree with you re the tickets for squaddies families Scotty!

If there is one thing a British committee can do well, it's to preside over a monumental fcku up! :twisted:

FastFrank

Unread post by FastFrank » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:49 am

nowt new there then...
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen!

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:07 pm

Latest Olympic News :
Firstly, concerning that very fast Chinese swimmer :
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/chi ... 2073136323" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Other News :
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/busi ... 2073136335" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Mighty Gusset

Unread post by The Mighty Gusset » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:45 am

Yay ! Good Old Central Line !
http://www.standard.co.uk/incoming/lond ... 04598.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I note that while Stratford is slowly sinking under the unexpected weight of people visiting it, the rest of 'tourist' London is experiencing an up to 40% drop in visitor numbers as non-Olympic fans stay as far away from the sodding place as they possibly can - I wonder what that's doing for the economic 'boom' that the Games were supposed to bring ?

scotduke

Unread post by scotduke » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:23 am

The Mighty Gusset wrote:Yay ! Good Old Central Line !
http://www.standard.co.uk/incoming/lond ... 04598.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I note that while Stratford is slowly sinking under the unexpected weight of people visiting it, the rest of 'tourist' London is experiencing an up to 40% drop in visitor numbers as non-Olympic fans stay as far away from the sodding place as they possibly can - I wonder what that's doing for the economic 'boom' that the Games were supposed to bring ?

Hmm, the drop in 'general' tourism might have something to do with the fact that the Olympic organising committee arranged for a block booking of hotel rooms in London for the games, which it hasn't filled. And it might also have something to do with the fact that London hotels have banged up room rates during the Olympics so that your 'general' tourist looing to come to London and who isn't interested in sport might well have looked at the cost and thought, 'Crikey, how much?' and decided to go to the likes of Paris or Rome or Middlesborough instead.