British eccentrics

Talk about anything that doesn't relate to other sections here. Play nicely :)

scotduke

British eccentrics

Unread post by scotduke » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:50 pm

Just watching a curious BBC programme about steam preservation societies. They've covered the Ffestinyog (not sure about the spelling but you know what I mean) railway and Cadeby. Fascinating look at a lot of british eccentrics working together. Some of the engineering was really pretty good.

They're not motorbikes, but I know a lot of people here like old machines.

supersix

Re: British eccentrics

Unread post by supersix » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:26 am

Ferro equinology it's called Scotty! :geek:

sbsbsa

Unread post by sbsbsa » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:36 pm

There's another one of these programmes on, I think tonight. This may be more about standard gauge rail preservation includung early days of Severn Valley Railway in Shropshire, one well known to certain members of this forum (Mentioning no names, bu a young lady from the Telford area?).
Steve

sbsbsa

Unread post by sbsbsa » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:23 am

I've just seen the follow up programme and it was about standard gauge. It looked at SVR and Keithly & Worth Valley (the Railway Children line if you're old enough to remember). It was very good and was narrated by Jenny Agutter.
Steve

sfb

Unread post by sfb » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:48 am

sbsbsa wrote:There's another one of these programmes on, I think tonight. This may be more about standard gauge rail preservation includung early days of Severn Valley Railway in Shropshire, one well known to certain members of this forum (Mentioning no names, bu a young lady from the Telford area?).
Steve
Wasn't one of Guy Martin's programs on the SVR ?

(not that young :-( )

sbsbsa

Unread post by sbsbsa » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:32 pm

Quite right sfb, his first "how Britain worked was based at Bridgnorth on the SVR assisting to restore No 5164. That was another good series on TV. Meanwhile, compared to me you are young!!! ;) :D
Steve